Deported Back To Cambodia

Steve

I have once read an report that by sending those gang members to their 'home' countries the US exported their gangs to those states. Especially in South America you have now satellites of the hardcore US gangs.

I used to work in a nasty part of L.A., mostly populated by Salvadorians and Guatemalans where those gangs thrived. Never felt unsafe in the daytime, but my company did have two incidents of security guards being shot at night (for no apparent reason) while I worked there.

Hopefully this will not happen in PP. Weapons and drugs are cheap there...

Somehow, I think not. From reading the articles posted, it doesn't sound like the deportees have much influence among the locals, and only a small percentage of them are deported for violent crime.

Also, the obvious gang members I've bumped into around Long Beach seemed to have good qualities like respect for their elders. Not the type with a chip on their shoulders that would shoot you as soon as look at you because you weren't one of them (in my case, being white). Pretty friendly, outside of the 'hood. On the whole, as I said before, I really think the Cambodian refugees were just trying to survive by forming gangs. They certainly didn't come over to the USA for the purpose of being in the gang business. Just a bad set of circumstances.

I know one beautiful girl who fled PP after her father was imprisoned when she was eight years old. Her six and four year old sisters didn't survive the walk from PP to the Thai border camp (starvation). After some time in Thailand, she and her mom spent a couple of years at a relocation camp in the PI before landing in Dallas under the care of a church group who gave them essentials, such as clothes. The girl wore pajamas on her first day to school! Didn't know any better. Her mother still tells her to this day that she had three daughters and only the ugly one survived. I'm just saying the Cambodian refugees were particularly unprepared on so many levels when they came over here.

• 1 month later...

I was at the Flamingos Hotel in Phnom Penh when the owner came for a visit from Ohio.

He came with his entire family. All Cambodians - Cambodian Americans.

I got to chat with two of the sons. The younger spoke perfect English while the older had an accent.

These conversations were 'interesting' to say the least.

"...it doesn't sound like the deportees have much influence among the locals..."

There was a documentary madse on this subject for PBS. I think you might be able to see it on Youtube. One of the kids is talking about how they thought they were bad asses when they arrived and how they thought they were going to show the locals how it was done. He said they learned very quickly how wrong they were.

Archived