Mighty Euro back up above 50 again - Almost on parity to Sterling now!

WorldFun

teddy if money is a concern I think you booked at the wrong 3valley resort - val thorens or partly courchevel is for the average joes while meribel is for the jet set even at 4* start hotel bars - are you part of it? :neener:

I have been to the 3 valleys before, last time I stayed at Courchevel 1850 and wanted to stay there again. I left it too late and all the best hotels were full.

I would say that Couchevel 1850 is far smarter than Meribel, although Courchevel 1650 is for average joes as you put it.

I have also been to Val Thorens but would never stay there owing to the fact that they seem to have imported some crappy apartment blocks from some crappy russian town and ruined the feckin place.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't really hit home until you have to go to Europe and realise that you only get 1 Euro for your Pound. I have just booked a weeks skying in Meribel' date=' just look at the feckin prices at the bar in my hotel :yikes: [/quote']

Ludicrous prices those Teddy!

How come a 16 yo Lagavulin is only â?¬2.5 dearer than a JW Red when a bottle is twice the cost?!

How much is the week going to set you back?

It's only me and my 8 y/o daughter going.

Hotel 6 x 405 euros, ski instructor 4 days x 280 euros, ski pass for both of us 394 euros, flights 1200 euros, taxi Geneva to Meribel both ways 460 euros, new ski suit for the little one cos they grow out of the feckers every year 200 euro, ski hire about 200 euro. Then there is the spending money.

So about 7,000 euro, it makes a huge difference now the pound is fucked, any chance of a loan :dunno:

So about 7' date='000 euro, it makes a huge difference now the pound is fucked, any chance of a loan :dunno: [/quote']

All the costs you've listed come to 6,100 euro so that leaves 900 euro spending money. No way you can go 6 days in Swiss and only spend 900 euro. :hubba:

Meribel is in France Munchie but the nearest airport is Geneva. Having an 8 year old to look after seriously curtails your ability to spend a huge fortune in the bar.

It will be a large single malt by the fireplace after the days skiing followed by a bottle of wine over dinner and maybe a calvados or armagnac for the road, probably in bed by 10pm :(

OK I guess you're right - some of the courchevel towns are indeed smarter than others & as you say apart from the ski & party freaks val thorens is not much fun at least no style at all although I seem to recall some kind of strip joint up there :cover:

Any meribel, courchevel or even val d'isere should be suitable for you as you seem to have a decent budget (â?¬7k) :up:

Safe skiing & apress ski :beer:

Trading today at a little over 46 according to Yahoo. Euro took a nosedive last week. Pound was stable. However, watching financial prognosticators, for what they are worth, they believe that Euro / Pound will be par in a couple of weeks. Suggestions are to sell Pound, Aussie & Canadian dollar. Keep Euro & US Dollar. Again, for what it's worth.

eur is diving temporary due to strong indications interest rates will be lowered yet another .5% on fridays ecb meeting.

one of the currency's strengths is it's independence from direct governing by governments & the clearly & strictly defined 'mastrict' criteria for inflation & debt. which other currency can 'boosts' of such noble qualities? of course partly the eur is just a continuation of Germanys economic policy, but it's quite a bit more than that too...

thus I think I'll be sorta 'neutral' on the eur 2009 outlook while 'nervous' on usd & gbp and perhaps 'underweight' on THB?

Archived