Zantika fire????

drogon

All my missus friends are ok even the two of them who were there....

They got lucky.

Thinking of that, I was really upset having to study fire security regulations both in the aviation and hospitality management courses...

-> now I admire the legislation here which enforces x emergency exits, clear markings for the exits, staircases width etc....

Sad new year for Thailand

Note: I am really happy that my girlfriend is a sensible lady who doesn't like going to overcrowded places such as discos (and she is probably one of the best dancers I saw)

Thanks whatever pushed her not to go to santika on the 31st of December.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose Thai authorities will blame "farang fireworks" (even if produced in China)...without even starting to enforce the existing fire security legislation...

(Amari almost respects it as well as some other hotels but this is not of course a disco)

"59 dead in Bangkok nightclub fire: police"

At least 59 people were killed when a fire ripped through a popular nightclub in the Thai capital Bangkok early Thursday as people were celebrating New Year, a local police commander said.

The blaze broke out at the Santika club in the city's Ekkamai district, a thronging entertainment area frequented by locals and tourists, said Vallop Janthorn, a metropolitan fire coordination official.

"The fire is under control and police are investigating to find out the cause," Vallop told AFP, giving a toll of 54 dead.

Local police commander Colonel Suphin Sapphuang told AFP 59 people had been confirmed dead so far -- 53 at the scene and six succumbed later in hospital.

Television stations variously reported the cause of the blaze as a firework set off because of the New Year celebrations and an electrical fault at the club, which is mainly frequented by Bangkok's elite.

At least 184 people were injured, emergency services at the scene told AFP, and had been rushed to 14 hospitals around the capital suffering burns and smoke inhalation.

An AFP correspondent said the two-storey nightclub had been completely gutted by the fire, which broke out between midnight and 1:00am, shortly after revellers had celebrated the passing of the New Year.

The front of the building was blackened and had collapsed, the correspondent said.

Several dozen relatives, friends and bystanders were left standing outside what was left of the venue, trying to get information about loved ones from the emergency services.

Fire brigade officials and forensic police could be seen entering the club in an effort to establish what had caused the fire, as the remains of charred furniture and equipment littered the ground outside.

Link

That youtube video posted earlier is pretty shocking. The whole building is literally engulfed.

I've been there a few times and never knew the place had a basement. I remember only 2 ways out, the main entrance and another door that led to the smoking patio outside.

Terrible way to start the new year. RIP to the dead.

Archived