Tough sentences in China over huge piracy ring: Microsoft

beano

I see software like I see books...noone bitches if you buy a book' date=' read it, give it away or sell it as used. Say you sell it as used, the book store makes more, maybe they buy and sell the same used book a few times...the author/publisher only gets paid once. Yet with software they raise the roof when someone else uses it or resells it. Seems a bit rediculs after awhile.[/quote']

Well, I agree that sort of use of software should be legal. However, that's not the problem with these chinese pirates. They are photo-copying the book and selling the copies!

This whole issue will all be moot when in the next 5-10 years where all of these applications will be online only, and you will be paying to use them as a service.

-=/NN

Agree in principle with you here...er sort of...but I'd say people will NOT buy these programs if they are too expensive. Currently the only "copies" I use are those I would NEVER pay full price for to begin with. Same was true for shared music. If I really like something, and had the cash, I'd just go buy it, not take the risks with "pirated" stuff.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a "theory" that some of the software companies want their software to be copied and spread around...since M$ is often copied and spread around, it is the "standard" on 90%(?) of the PCs in the world...Adobe Acrobat, a very expensive package to purchase, but they have a free reader that you can download, Norton now has xx days of free trial, etc.

Yes, the companies lose $$$ but they gain, even if illegal, a huge product base.

Like I said, there are some programs I would buy if they were priced right. But at $1200+ for the latest Photoshop or Premier, I'll make do without... at $5, I'm in. Point is, I'm not going to buy it anyway, so what does microsoft/adobe/any manufacturer really lose? Same with music sharing, I only downloaded the stuff I'd never have bought. If I had wanted it that bad, I'd have paid for it... it was free, so what the hell... Gates and rock stars are still very rich.

Gates and 'rock stars' like Metallica made their money before it became child's play to download and install a torrent client. I like the iTunes model - just not happy about Apple's Digital Rights Management or 'DRM' : paying a dollar for a song I like (ok, its more in Oz, but I am illustrating a point) instead of having to buy an entire album makes sense.

Microsoft (and others) are trying to move their apps into the 'cloud', hoping that you will be happy to pay a smaller amount to use their products online instead of buying licensed copies and installing them on each machine. Time will tell if its the future.

...how about you buy it, it doesn't farkin work and you have to go online to d'load the patch to make ot work...horse hockey...if these companies are allowed to sell a product that they farkin know doesn't work, the fark them...buy the $1 pirate version...maybe, just maybe they will wise up (doubt it)... :dunno:

If something is overpriced then don't buy/use it. It's pretty simple isn't it?

I forget where the stealing it because you can't afford it or don't want to pay for it became okay.

As for the "$1200+" for the lastest photoshop or premier. Boo-freeking-hoo. If you want something free go play in MS Paint.

I know people who can and do pay for it. Why? Because it is worth it. As I said before, if you don't feel it's worth that much, then don't buy/use it. It's that simple.

The whole childish mentality of, "I can't or won't pay that much so I'll steal it to show them what's up" is lame at best.

Boy did you miss the point here...point is, I'm NOT going to buy it period, so the company is NOT losing any money from me. If a friend wants to let me use their copy, why is/should that be against the law? He DID pay for it, so up to him how he uses it, or who he shares it with, same as books, movies, music cds etc...

Tell me you NEVER made a copy of a music cd from a friend, or recorded a movie off HBO instead of buying it...now take a midol, change your tampon and chill.

No, the difference is I don't try to justify it.

Lame is lame. If you're going to steal then call it what it is.

Why would anybody buy a CD beyond the first one if we could all just "share" it. They wouldn't, because somebody else could provide it for next to nothing since they didn't put any effort into making it.

Boy did you miss the point here...point is, I'm NOT going to buy it period, so the company is NOT losing any money from me. If a friend wants to let me use their copy, why is/should that be against the law? He DID pay for it, so up to him how he uses it, or who he shares it with, same as books, movies, music cds etc...

Tell me you NEVER made a copy of a music cd from a friend, or recorded a movie off HBO instead of buying it...now take a midol, change your tampon and chill.

And everyone knows that every Chinese has several hundred thousand friends.

Personally I see my pirate DVD collection as an individual protest against the leftist leanings of Hollywood.

Archived