Tough sentences in China over huge piracy ring: Microsoft

beano

Cav,

Ah yes, much like this site then that lets you 'borrow' his back-up books to read?

http://www.truly-free.org/#terms

And what exactly is the policy for libraries that 'lend' you a book to read? Doesn't do the authors any good do these? He/she makes no money off this and anyone can use their copyright product. Most libraries in the states will also lend DVD and CDs as well. No charge, no money for the artists involved in the product except the original purchase of the product anyone now with a library card can use for free. They also provide free internet services.

I feel the main reason many buy these bootleg products is because the legal products are seriously over-priced for the average person, especially in the 2nd and 3rd world places where much of this is produced in to begin with. 80 baht copy DVD or 800 baht original legal DVD? Easy choice when you make 200 baht a day. I'd say most of this stuff is sold to the local markets/populations. Many people cannot afford the legal copy book, CD, DVD, software at the legal price. So they use the blackmarket and buy much reduced priced copies (many of which have damned good quality).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me thinks there is a fine line on the piracy, as in order for a software to have a large user base, some of it will have to be pirate copies, thus the software company just sucks up a certain xx% of piracy.

Example, if everyone had to buy Windows office, how much of a user base would Windows have? 10%, 50% ?

Now M$ has a huge user base and the next step, which they are doing now, go after the major pirate people. Once you are setup and using a software product, difficult to wean off of it.

You got the facts. Assume whatever the fuck you want.

Hey, if you resort to copying books and selling them on the street, good for you. :)

OH - Give it a rest, nobody said stealing 6 of anything is okay. You can stop trolling anytime.

Seems you want it both ways here...and are pissed that some of us won't let you have it that way. Make up your mind here dude, what is right and what is wrong? According to some of your posts, 1 copy is stealing, according to others, "...a few not for resale " are o.k. [Removed - KS]

I don't see anything wrong with copying and sharing software, anymore than I see a problem with reselling books, libraries or used cd/dvd stores. Accept it and move on.

Hi,

That post is a hell of a lot less personal than the one I just edited (although the 'Fuck you' was also uncalled for, and I'll remove it.). It was also before I told you guys to knock it off.

I really don't give a shit about who is right or wrong, or who said or didn't say whatever; I just do not want personal attacks here.

Sanuk!

Archived