Tough sentences in China over huge piracy ring: Microsoft

beano

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, the difference is I don't try to justify it.

Lame is lame. If you're going to steal then call it what it is.

Why would anybody buy a CD beyond the first one if we could all just "share" it. They wouldn't, because somebody else could provide it for next to nothing since they didn't put any effort into making it.

So if a friend gives me a copy of software he bought, or lets me use his as needed, how is that stealing? I call it sharing, which is what it is.

Now if I had the cash to buy some really expensive program, and then shared it with kids in a third world country who could NEVER afford it, is that wrong? At what point is greed wrong, and "Robin Hood" right? or is it all the same to you? Again, I am NOT stealing, I am having someone share with me, or I am sharing with them, explain how that is bad...especially if I/they would/could NEVER buy the program anyway.

Now answer the question, ever copy a CD? or movie? Oh you evil person! Facts are, people will buy something they want they will skip the shit they don't want...stuff they are indifferent to...they may or may not take if offered for free...

Ever hear of a band called the Grateful Dead? they used to let their fans tape their shows for free...they were still rich, and still sold albums...NO rock star is starving because of music sharing, their loyal fans still buy their stuff. Like wise, Bill gates is no worse off because of people "pirating" his crap.

Hi,

Old Hippie, the thing is that you are not sharing the software, you are using a copy and your friend is still using his version.

If you were truly sharing, then when you use it, he can't.

The 'I would not have bought it anyway' excuse doesn't fly with me either. If you had no interest in it at all, you wouldn't have bothered getting a copy of the software either.

Sorry to burst your bubble, bit it IS stealing. And yes, I too am guilty of it.

Interesting is that while I never bought a legal copy of a PS2 game, now with the PS3 I can only get legal games as the PS3 has not been cracked yet. And surprisingly it doesn't bother me all that much. Sure, I have a lot less games now than with the PS2, but I tend to spend more time with the ones I do have, finishing most.

Frankly, I think that even after they crack the PS3 I may still very well continue buying legal games.

Sanuk!

"...Frankly, I think that even after they crack the PS3 I may still very well continue buying legal games..."

Exactly my point! If you want it, you will pay for it, if not so what? You got it for free, great...if not you did with out. If the stuff were priced fairly, and people wanted it they would pay, simple as that.

No different than my book analogy. We are NOT "stealing" shit. Now go back to my original question, aimed at all the hardliners on this..."have you ever onece even, coppied a cd, album, movie etc? if so (and I know damned well you all have) how is that any different than the software issue> In my opinion, "intellectual property law" has way over stepped it's bounds here. Well passed the bounds/limits of common sense.

"...The 'I would not have bought it anyway' excuse doesn't fly with me either..."

Why not? what is you justification for having "pirated" software and or games? Some shit I would never spend money...but free is a different story.

"...If you had no interest in it at all, you wouldn't have bothered getting a copy of the software either..."

Not at all true. Some stuff is worth it to me, and I pay for it if I want it. Other stuff means little or nothing to me. But something I *might* want if the price is right, or free is a different matter. We all know this and all do it. I am amused by those who seem to seek the high ground on this issue, full well knowing they are either 1) in the software business thus biased, despite doing it themselves or 2) guilty of it themselves, no matter what they say or what ground they claim.

Bottom line is, many have refused to answer my question...if you have even once coppied a cd or movie or what not, than you have violated "intellectual property rights." As long as you have done so, than there is no claiming the high ground here is there?

We are ALL guilty of it to some degree, so spare me the self righteous crap many espouse on this topic. If you can get something/Anything you want for free, you will take it, end of discussion.

Again...someone please, RATIONALLY explain to me how Adobe is losing if I Will not buy Photo shop at $1200...but someone gives me a disk with the program on it...for free...??? They are Not getting my money either way.

Now let's say I do spend the $1200 for Photoshop, and I decide to give it to who ever I want for free...how is that any different than me buying a book, and giving it to others? Anyone? please explain...it isn't, and thus the argument is moot.

There is a Chinese female (I won't refer to her as a lady) in my office right now selling pirated DVD's. She comes here every week.

1. If it was my office (it isn't) I would ban her from entering it.

2. I have often felt like phoning the police and telling them that she's in our building and what she's doing. The only reason I haven't is that quite a few of the office staff like to buy from her.

If the only reason she is in Dubai is to sell pirated DVD's then she should fuck off back to China and nake an honest or dishonest living there.

So what constitutes "an honest living?"

Again, I will use my book analogy...

I write A book...the publisher sells it for $24.95usd, hard back...you buy it...

Adobe makes aprogram sells it for $1200used, you buy it...

You read my book, decide "WOW. this is great shit...I bet Joe blow would love this brilliant book...so you give it to him...

You have Adobe program...you decide wow, great stuff, I bet Joe Blow would love this...you give it to him...

What is the difference?

Same as if you sell the book after reading to a used book store...and the buyer re-sells to someon...many times over...

Yet you do the same with the Adobe program and this is wrong? exactly how?

Why is it, when software is concerned, somewhow "intellectual property (what is that bullshit?) suddenly kicks in...? what is it about the software nerds that that is so high and mighty ans supersedes all other "intellectuals" and what they produce? Fuck these premadonna shit bags... they are no different than anyone else who ever got "ripped off" buy people who would other wise maybe or maybe NOT buy their shit.

What is so fucking special about Software Vs. Other "intellectual property?" Other than the people who produce software seem to think they are some how so fucking important...

I said this years back, I'll say it again...Silicon Valley is/was based on shit, nothing, a bunch of self indulgent toss bags doing nothing and wanting top dollar for it. Fuck them and what little they do/did, if anything at all?.

All so important and yet Not one of them could ever really explain what it is they did or how they did it in a single sentence. Fuck them. Not one of them is ANY more important than anyone else who ever produced anything anyone benefited from. Artistic or otherwise. Fuck the asshole who produces software, they are no different than anyone who ever produced a book, cd or what not...take the good with the bad and face facts...they are nothing fucking special...spoiled brats with parent issues all needing to somehow prove their own self importance...in the end, we see where that got them/us...

Talk to the guys who REALLY created the internet, software and this whole mess, they have a whole different view on it than some of those here.

OH - Learn to read.

GIVING A COPY IS NOT THE SAME AS GIVING THE ORIGINAL.

You give the original book you bought. You can no longer read that book until you get it back.

You let somebody else install XYZ software on their computer and you still have it installed on yours. Guess what, you gave them a copy.

Why can't you get that in your head? Are you so bent on stealing and justifying it that you can't see the difference?

Hi,

Exactly. OH seems to have a bit of a problem grasping that fact though it seems :)

"If you want it, you will pay for it, if not so what? You got it for free, great...if not you did with out."

The thing is that you don't *want* to do without. As Weird pointed out, you could use MS Paint (or a freeware graphics program), but you *want* Photoshop. However, you do not want to pay the asking price for it and thus get a copy. I.e. you steal.

There is no 'high horse' crap here. I am certain there isn't a person on this board who has never copied a CD, movie, software program, etc. Most though admit that they are stealing. Whether or not you would have bought the CD, movie, etc is irrelevant.

Sanuk!

Archived