Tele-sales Jobs

Telesales, read boiler room. There are literally thousands of these guys working in Bangkok right now, at a number of companies. They are illegal, though the risk is rarely jail, but rather that the friday you are to get paid, in cash you enter the office and it is gone. Either that or deportment.

The money however is very real if you are any good. US dollars, cash in hand every week. Sky is the limit and all that.

The hours are are a tad insane, mirroring OZ business hours so 6 oclok starts are the norm, conversely, most are done by 2 or three in the afternoon.

but shhh. it supposed to be a secret.

bkk_nsr

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend sent me an excellent article via post from the July 19 edition of the Australian Financial Review and if any of you Aussies (or Kiwis) have a copy of this publication floating around, it would be well worth turning to page 9 to check it out. The article is about these "financial consultants" in Bangkok who sell bogus shares in companies and rip off hard working Antipodeans. I note the publication has a website at www.afr.com so there is a chance the article may be online - well worth looking up.

Stick

quote:

Antipodeans

Is it just me who hates this word? It sounds like something that carries a big shell around with it and tastes rather nice when fried with garlic.

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

[QB]It sounds like something that carries a big shell QB]

There's probably a restaurant somewhere in SE Asia right now with Antipodeans on the menu. I remember a sea food restaurant in Nha Trang, Vietnam, which had Holothurians on the menu. Something to do with squid I think. Anyway, don't want to divert the thread so nuff said.

Well i reakon that jobs gone tits up:

Too bad I might have applied.

From Sky news today

Thirty Britons have reportedly been arrested in Thailand in a sting on one of the world's largest underground stock dealing scams.

Thai police detained more than 80 people, accused of cheating investors of more than £100m. They were understood to be Thais, Britons, Irish, Australian and American citizens.

The Britons, some as young as 19-years-old, were led out of a Bangkok skyscraper under the gaze of officers from the FBI and Australian Federal Police. British Embassy staff were also on hand to take details of the detainees.

'Near perfect crime'

From a 24th floor office the operation, which worked under the name the 'Brinton Group' as well as dozens of other company names, allegedly took part in a bogus share selling racket with victims, some bankrupted, all over the world.

"It was the near perfect crime," said a British diplomatic source, "because the victims are in far flung corners of the globe it is difficult to bring charges, and the Thai legal system does not have the full legislation to deal with these sort of operations."

The ringleaders of the alleged scam, thought to be Irish and American, are thought to have escaped arrest.

Many of the Britons were allegedly recruited by newspaper ads in the United Kingdom, attended interviews in Britain and had no knowledge whatsoever of the financial world, claimed a British diplomatic source.

'They were good deals'

"As far as I am concerned we were selling good deals. I want to know what's going on myself," said one as he was led away. The maximum penalty for fraud in Thailand is seven years in prison.

The members of the group would apparently cold-call people all over the world with share offers. Diplomats were stunned at how many people took up the offer. An Australian official said they were getting two or three complaints a week from investors unable to trace their money.

"It was a massive operation with these 80-odd people calling numbers all around the world and offering customers unbeatable deals on shares," he said. "One person lost over US$300,000 on shares that never ever appeared."

Archived