Work permits

Is it possible to get a work permit without a degree?

I am a teacher, Celta qualified and have been working in a school in Bangkok for a couple of months now.

When I applied for the job the advert did not state that a degree was required and that the school would provide me with a work permit.

I have never pretended to have a degree and the school gave me a 1 year contract and I am enjoying working there.

However I have been told by my school to get myself down Khoa San Road and buy a fake degree to enable them to get me a work permit.

I would rather not do this as I am worried about any comeback from the Thai authorities if they check up on my degree.

Am I worrying unnecesserily and is it possibe to obtain a work permit without a degree ?

What would happen if the authorities did find out I had submitted a fake degree cert ?

crazy.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat:

Is it possible to get a work permit without a degree?

Hi,

Not sure about teaching but in general, yes it is possible. I have never been asked if I have a degree ( I don't have one ).

However, I do need to prove that I am qualified in my profession, certificates, test results etc.

Cheers

Roger

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

Hi Blackcat,

why buy a fake degree - you can buy one from a correspondence university based on life and work experiences. It's a real degree - worth nothing, but you get a degree. laugh.gif" border="0

elef crazy.gif" border="0

with 2 degrees (both real)

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: elef ]

Yes, you can get a work permit as a teacher, without a degree. More than anything, it depends on the relationship that your school has with the Labour Department - the people responsible for issuing work permits... Some schools are able to get WPs for their teachers who do not have degrees while others are not...

Good luck.

For a university, you will need a copy of your degree. Not even an official transcript will do. (Thank God, I had a copy with me or I'd have had problems.) But I don't see a degree being necessary for private schools or secondary schools. Thais need teacher certification to teach. Many of the elemtary teachers have only completed the equivalent of 2 years uni.

p.s. A fake degree can get you into trouble too. My uni had a fellow whose contract was not renewed. Reason was they became suspicious of his degree. The did things the Thai way. They didn't confront him over it, but simply told him they no longer would hire him.

Archived