18 Coins Hotel, Pattaya

SpiceMan

This hotel is well located on Soi Buakhao, about 50 meters south of Soi Diana. The hotel is British run. We stayed in a standard room for 14 nights including Christmas and New Year. Although it was peak season, we qualified for the long stay rate of 450 baht per night. In low season rooms are available for 450 baht for short stays and discounts may be possible for longer stays.

On arrival our room was very dusty, on the floor and on the shelves. The room also smelled faintly of cigarette smoke. We don't smoke so we noticed this. My girl friend wiped away the dust on the shelves and sprayed the room with air freshener before unpacking our clothes. This 5 minute blitz improved the room considerably. The room had air con which worked well with a remote control. There was a window overlooking a quiet side street and a veranda on which to dry our clothes. There was no bath, just a shower. The water was not very hot but good enough in a hot climate like Pattaya. One problem was that the sink did not have a plug. A word with the maid soon produced one. The room had a dressing table and one stool. The hotel offers room service but the standard rooms don't offer anywhere to eat, just the stool and dressing table. The bed was a queen sized double but the mattress was too thin. I had back ache after the first night, though this may have been due to a Thai massage. The room had cable TV but no phone. The hotel laundry was considerably cheaper than you would get in a mid range hotel, as you would expect when staying at a budget hotel.

There is a restaurant and sports bar. The restaurant offers Thai food for 100 baht per meal and farang food for a bit more. The most expensive items on the menu were the steaks at 290 baht, which were very tender. An English breakfast is available for 100 baht and a bigger version for 130. Although I didn't partake, the 18 Coins hotel is guest friendly. Girls leave their ID cards at reception and there is a security guard on duty at night.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived