Travellers checks, ATM, other?

I'm getting conflicting info on what's the best way to pay for my day-to-day activities in Thailand. Some say travellers checks are best, Frommers says Visa cash advances are best, others I've heard say ATM's.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

zwoel69,

It's really up to you...all of the methods you mentioned work fine.

In general, you will get a slightly better exchange rate for travellers checks than for cash. Check out http://www.bangkokbank.com/bankrates/fx_rates_curr.htm for current rates, updated several times daily.

Your ATM card will work at most international and large Thai banks. They will dispense baht with varying daily withdrawal limits, usually sufficient for all your daily needs unless you are buying your new TG that 4 baht necklace she saw in the gold shop on Soi 10. However, the exchange rate you receive will be determined by your bank, so you may want to check with them before you leave to get a rough comparison.

Visa cash advances may require you to go to locations that aren't open 24/7.

Hope this helps,

J22J

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: jack22jack ]

Opinions do vary about this, but I prefer Travelers Cheques myself. I can get them without paying a commission, They are very safe, get a good rate of exchange, and in all my years of traveling I have never been unable to exchange them easily for local currency.

With ATM cards, I am a bit nervous about hidden charges, and am very nervous about some ATM malfuction causing the machine to eat my card, thus stranding me half way around the world from my home without money. Perhaps I am being a bit of a technophobe in this regard.

JG

If you're in the larger cities you will have no problem using exchange places and ATMs as they are everywhere and take your checks and favorite cards.

I usually take enough money in travelers checks for most of my trip. Except, that I always use a credit card for hotel bills and sometimes for meals in a nice restuarant I take $100 checks as I always cash them at banks or exchnage places where you get the best rates. They charge you for each check, so large denominations save you a little bit. I only keep a little US currency for use when I get home. I never exchange US$ in Thailand.

About half way through my trip I start to use the ATM to conserve travelers checks, if I'm spending more on sanuk than planned. Sometimes I debit from by bank account and sometimes as credit card cash advance.

Just make sure you keep all of your cards, extra money and passport in the hotel safe. I've been to Thailand many times and have never had anything taken, but don't take an unnecessary risk. If you use the hotel safe at the front desk be sure to find out when you can get access to your box, some are not available 24/7. A couple of times I've been caught short and had to curtail nightime plans as I was out of Baht.

Having tried traveller's checks and ATMs, I'd say it's a toss up. To cash traveller's checks, they want to see your passport, which can be a pain if it's locked up in the hotel safe. ATM's worked great, so long as you don't want more than about 10,000 Baht a day. My credit cards didn't work at all, as I failed to notify they card companies that I was going overseas. They declined the charges, thinking it was some sort of fraud.

Rex wink.gif" border="0

I have been using ATM for daily living in LOS for 6 months now. Use BofA and Diners. BofA charges flat $1.50 and Diners $4.00 for each transaction. Even with fee, the exchange rate comes out pretty good compared to Bank of Thailand reference rate published each day. Most machines will give 20,000 baht each transaction up to the max daily dollar amount ($750 for BofA, $500 for Diners). This means you can stand there and stick each card in a couple of times and walk away with some 60,000 baht if you want). Bangkok Bank and Thai Farmers have branches everywhere, including remote upcountry towns.

Only reason I can think of for TC's would be the refundability if stolen or lost.

Archived