Minimum wage....for FOREIGNERS?

Stickman

The following piece was cut and pasted from the online edition of the Phuket Gazette. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Stick

"Minimum wages for foreigners? lease can you tell me where is says that the minimum wage for foreigners working in Thailand is 1,167 baht a day (35,000 baht a month) as opposed to 165 baht for Thai’s. I have lived here for 13 years and I do not frequent the Sheraton for dinner (I prefer a 25-baht bowl of noodles) so to spend that much every day is rather difficult for me personally. It’s also a new and extortionate cost for my (growing) company.

The minimum income of a foreigner applying for a work permit or renewal of a work permit depends on nationality.

For Japanese, Americans and Canadians it is 40,000 baht a month; for Europeans, Australians, Koreans, Taiwanese, Hongkongers and Singaporeans it is 35,000 baht; for Indians, Malaysians and people from the Middle East, 30,000 baht; for mainland Chinese, Indonesians and Filipinos, 25,000 baht; for Burmese, Laotians, Vietnamese, Cambodians and Africans, 20,000 baht; and for journalists it is 12,000 baht.

These figures are set out in an order issued by the Royal Thai Police in 1997.”

Wednesday, August 15, 2001

Surasak Tipparut, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office."

Yes, these are the minimum "official" salaries that must be reported or you will not be approved for a work permit. This is to make sure that you are paying enough in taxes.

Remember, the work permit is only a portion of the paperwork, the tax ID card (most people never see it - their company keeps it) is also very important to keep.

These five documents are important.

Passport (Visa Stamp)

Work Permit

Tax ID Card

2 cards from Social Services. One deals with the hospital and the other for some type of social insurance - has never been explained to me but get it every year.

I'll try to get more details and the names of all the documents.

they told me in the immigration office that they don care how much tax i pay as long as i have the official receipt.

so, last year i paid 500 baht tax, and they were perfectly happy. renewed my workpermit without any problems, courtious as ever.

quote:

Originally posted by Stickman:

These figures are set out in an order issued by the Royal Thai Police in 1997.”

Nice for the Police to know all this. I guess they can use it as a guage as to how much money they can expect to extract from us.

It sure would be nice if someone would inform the Ministry of Universities about these "minimum wages". We could all stand a hell of a big increase. Not one single Canuck-Yank-Pom-Oz dude is making anything like that (not counting extra hours).

p.s. Instead, the university has been informed there will be NO pay rises or step increases for us for the enxt couple of years -- since our wonderful pro-education PM Toxin only authorised a magnificent 1% increase in the education budget. Furthermore, the uni cannot hire any more lecturers than the number it already has. Since Toxin has so many hundreds of billions of baht that he can't even remember how much he's got (nor is he held accountable for reporting it for taxes), one would expect he could give a few of those stray billions to the education folks. After all, since he doesn't know he has them ... he wouldn't miss them.

The Brit and American teachers I know here only get B20,000 per month and they have work permits. I wonder how the scholl gets around that one? I'll have to ask them how much tax they pay.

quote:

Originally posted by themayorofpattaya:

The Brit and American teachers I know here only get B20,000 per month and they have work permits. I wonder how the scholl gets around that one? I'll have to ask them how much tax they pay.

I heard this too. I am wondering, if living is possible at this, even if the thermae-ladies are having special prices for some expats (rumors?!).

Archived