Coss - the last few days in PP

Coss

My last few days in Cambodia were interesting.

I had, on previous trips, seen street hawkers with trays of fried spiders on their heads. I was told that the spiders in question all came from one town about 70 km from Phnom Penh.

So I hired me a car and set off with driver. The hotel assured me the driver spoke great English, did he shit....

But he was a nice enough chap and apart from a propensity to attempt overtaking maneuvers, in the face of oncoming trucks, in his underpowered 20 year old Toyota, we had a good trip.

When in the Spider Town, I was told the name, but I've forgotten as I so often do, I was sort of expecting to see spider farms or some-such, but on pained conversation discovered that it was unnecessary to farm them as the fields abounded with them.

For those who've not seen these spiders, they are about 8 or 9 cm across, before cooking, upon which they shrink a bit. They resemble nothing so much as the famed Tarantula from the movies and may well be Tarantulas (Tarantulae?) for all I know. When eaten they taste very much like what they were cooked in, garlic and sweet chili, and a very convincing resemblance to the flavour of Crab. Quite delicious, I'll eat these again.

Some other culinary delights I encountered were baby Duck and small Heron. I didn't try the Heron but the baby Duck was delicious, quite a meal for a small cat maybe, not much meat at all.

One thing I'm feeling now about these hostess bars is that they are a lot more excitable than their equivalent in Bangkok or Pattaya. It sorta takes me back to when I first travelled to Thailand twenty years ago. In one bar (Cloud 9?), I spent a couple of hours before returning to my fave at Happy Man, the girls were all fizzing and quite delighted to be there, I was the only customer at the time and whilst two devoted their time to me, the rest were all happy and dancing with each other, smiling and enjoying themselves. Whilst there was no nudity, there was lots of skirt raising and top removing (their own and each others). The boss then shouted them all a can of Angkor and they all went wild, gargling the beer through straws and really putting on a show, as much for their own enjoyment as for mine.

Back to my girl in Happy Man, Srey Peah or similar name, is about 28 but looks a little older, hands rough from manual labour, but a perfect little figure, pretty face and an affection setting seemingly set on Maximum 24/7. I ended up spending the last two nights with her and though no romantic thoughts were entertained I was getting enamoured of to her propensity for waking me up in the middle of the night with a BJ or just before dawn for a ride'em cowgirl. For me, having fruition 3 or 4 times a night is pretty much nirvana, not like it used to be when I was 25 but compared to the big fat '0' I get in middle earth, I am well satisfied.

I've mixed feelings about whether I'll return to Cambodia for mongering purposes, as on the one hand, prices seem unreasonable for the NZ Peso, and the "Wild West" flavour of the place is all but gone, but on the other, the freshness and naivety of the newly founded hostess bars, appeal to me.

To Pattaya and beyond!...

When in the Spider Town, I was told the name, but I've forgotten as I so often do, I was sort of expecting to see spider farms or some-such, but on pained conversation discovered that it was unnecessary to farm them as the fields abounded with them.

town is named "skoun"...on the main raod to kompong cham

instead of hiring a taxi, it's much much nicer to rent a motorbike, go skoun, continue kompong cham (and beyond to kratie) and return taking different roads...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived