what to bring from USA to help BGs kid be smarter ?

LAX

OK.....

This may be a weird thread but here goes,

a few of my regular BGs have young kids 3-4 years old , We all know how bad Thai schools are for the poor and I even wonder if there is a Pre-school, does not really matter since they cannot afford it ,

Anyway here in the USA there are tons of learning things for kids ,

so is it worth picking any of this stuff up at yard sales to give to the ladies for their kids to learn numbers , western letters etc...

any ideas ? I see this stuff at yard sales and swap meets every week, and yes its all in English....

the only way Thailand will get better is to have smarter kids , one step at a time

Dave

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
prolly wasting your time as they have no example set them by the mothers .

try a new brain for your BG mates.

i have been to a local school and its practically a waste of time to try these things .

Anything in english gets slung out with the trash

well I figured I would get an answer like this ,

If you do not try you get no where ,

buying $5-$10 worth of stuff is worth it just on the old chance that it might work,

Do you really think that BGs do not want better for their kids ?

If you want to make an enemy , ask a BG if she wants her kid to "work bar"

BG are people too, somehow it often gets forgotten ....

Anyway I will go over to Walmart and look....

Dave

I think this is the best question asked by a newbie in years.

Look for things that are both interesting and stimulating. Problem will be most will be in your own language, so why not go shopping here looking for things that are in the kids language - the kid will be just as happy regardless where you bought it.

Obviously with very young kids (babies) then you buy toys etc that stimulate their heads to play rather than site - up to age 2 English is not a problem - plunty of toys that teach kids hand dexterity etc.

Over age 2 you need to then look at toys etc that are either not in language or buy here.

Nothing wrong with buying here! "Uncle" will be revered just as highly as if you brought from over seas.

If you get a chance - take the kid to a book shop - Se-ed is in most towns now. (not Sat-Ed) and you can let the kid wonder. Even if he buys a comic book it's a book with words and a start to reading rather than viewing TV etc.

CTO

PS Great Question!

I don't have kids but I have really good early memories. My favorite toy around age 4 used to be a toy guitar and a xylophone. In the second grade, I started with violin and piano. There seems to be strong correlation between music and math so anything musical would be a good choice.

I also liked to take things apart. I wasn't much of a legos fan because I liked things with moving parts. I always wanted a motorized erector set but my dad was too cheap. But definitely building toys would be cool.

Anything that might develop interest in the arts like paint sets, watercolors, crayons. They have cooler stuff nowadays like glow-in-dark fabric-safe washable markers. I liked lite brites.

Anything science experimentation related although I can't think of anything that safe for 4 year olds but I bet they make them. I always wanted a chemistry set and a telescope but got neither. I got a cool microscope though in the first grade that I loved - it came with all these premade slides.

I'd stay away from books. They'll get plenty of that. My philosophy would be to throw a lot of different things at them to see what sticks.

Archived