what to bring from USA to help BGs kid be smarter ?

LAX

Why upgrade her to my secretary? What if I had phrased it like this?

Hey, I'd like to buy a small gift for this hooker I know. She's never finished high school herself and she lives in a small room that she shares with other hookers. She has these two kids that seem really bright though. The next time I pop in for a fuck, I'd like to bring a small gift for the kiddies but something that might make them smarter. They are only 3 and 4. Any suggestions?

And then I get a response like: Are you for real? If you really gave a shit, you'd get them a private tutor you cheap scumbag.

Or a response like this: If you really gave a shit, you'd use that money to donate to the Salvation Army so that other kids like him can buy their own books.

My response to that person(s) would be: Fuck off you arrogant little turd.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got lst trip to USA a great electronic game called mind reader or something - you think of a word and the dam thing guesses it

GREAT for my kids English - they and the school love it

$20 - not $10 - but a GREAT educational tool

OK $5-$10 does not seem like much if you have it ,

but I always bring stuff from the 99 cent store to give to my regulars and they love it ,

It was probably $4-5 bucks each before it was discounted, and its from "America"

So buying something for their kids that might help them learn something is just a simple thing to do,

Will I change the world ? Hell No.

will I get a kid to smile and maybe brighten his day even a little bit , probably, hopefully it sparks them into wanting to learn more ,

these kids are only 3-4 years old , I do not even remember being that young , but what got me interested when I was 6-7 was taking things apart , fixing my bike stuff like that , turned me into a pretty decent mechanic , plus I always liked to read , maybe we can get some of these kids interested in more than TV.

anyway fire away ,

Dave

I remember a while ago I talked to someone who was working towards a PHD in an education field. I was asking about toys to make kids smarter.

What he said is anything which helps a kid increase vocabulary, especially before 5 years, is the most beneficial.

And then I get a response like: Are you for real? If you really gave a shit, you'd get them a private tutor you cheap scumbag.

Or a response like this: If you really gave a shit, you'd use that money to donate to the Salvation Army so that other kids like him can buy their own books.

My response to that person(s) would be: Fuck off you arrogant little turd.

My point was that the same $5-$10 you'd spend on a trinket would buy a session with a private tutor. If you are planning on making this a repeat thing, then repeat sessions with a tutor would do a lot more good than a pile of trinkets.

You can't parachute-drop an "educational" toy into an intellectual tundra (or at least taiga) and expect it to do magic on its own.

I remember a while ago I talked to someone who was working towards a PHD in an education field. I was asking about toys to make kids smarter.

What he said is anything which helps a kid increase vocabulary, especially before 5 years, is the most beneficial.

I just read an article that said the same thing!

[color:purple](Geoffrey) Canada believes that many poor parents aren't doing enough to prepare their kids for schoolâ??not because they don't care, but because they simply don't know the importance of early childhood stimulation. So the Zone starts with Baby College, nine weeks of parenting classes that focus on discipline and brain development. It continues with language-intensive prekindergarten, which feeds into a rigorous K-12 charter school with an extended day and an extended year. That academic "conveyor belt," as Canada calls it, is supplemented by social programs: family counseling, a free health clinic, after-school tutoring, and a drop-in arts center for teenagers.

Canada's early childhood programs are in many ways a response to research showing that the vocabularies of poor children usually lag significantly behind those of middle-class children. At the Harlem Gems prekindergarten, I watched as the four-year-olds were bombarded with books, stories, and flash cardsâ??including some in French. The parents were enlisted, too; one morning, I went with a few families on a field trip to a local supermarket organized by the Harlem Children's Zone. The point wasn't to learn about nutrition, but rather about languageâ??how to fill an everyday shopping trip with the kind of nonstop chatter that has become second nature to most upper-middle-class parents, full of questions about numbers and colors and letters and names. That chatter, social scientists have shown, has a huge effect on vocabulary and reading ability. And as we walked through the aisles, those conversations were going on everywhere: Is the carrot bumpy or smooth? What color is that apple? How many should we buy?

So far, Canada's vision has yielded impressive results. Last year, the first conveyor-belt students reached the third grade and took their first statewide standardized tests. In reading, they scored above the New York City average, and in math they scored well above the state average.[/color]

LAX, good luck mate. Some folks here are tired, cynical old bastards. Pay them no mind -- I do my best just to avoid them altogether. You're doing the right thing, even if it is just a drop in the bucket.

Cheers,

SD

OK - so my 6 year old daughter keeps a diary and has a tear of daily calendar that teaches her a new word each day - great for her but hard to find in thai in Thailand something similar.

Go with simple things that raise the curiosity, heck - even if it's a "trick" toy that's hard to put together again a puzzle, that is good.

I think it's great what your trying to do OP - keep it up.

Archived