Mrs won't have anything to do with UK based Thai's?

Lusty

I don't think this is limited to just Thais though. My ex is a Filipina (from hell!) and she had the same complaints about some of her countrymen as well, specifically Illoconos (sp) those from Luzon.

Her beef with them specifically was they were too competetive, bragged to much, lied about what they had (have to agree with that one) and were to eager to be on top of others. I see it with Thais, Chinese, Jews and W.A.S.P. Americans as well. But I am a racist so what do I know?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This kind of suspicion and distrust and aversion to socializing with others from one's homeland abroad will be particularly acute if the Thai woman in question is from a rural background, former sex worker or not.

It is very common among SEAsian peasants to be intensely suspicious of anyone not from one's village (and even then sometimes...!). The fear can often be witchcraft related and may be carried to the extent that the person in question will refuse to eat food in someone else's home, or food that she or a family member did not cook...

I have no experience with Thais living in western countries and how they associate with each other, but I do have quite a bit experience with Thais living outside Thailand in other Asian countries either with their western husbands or on assignment themselves. What I have seen there is the usual socio-economic barriers tend to breakdown. I have seen Thai women with western educations from well-to-do families hanging out daily with women from Issan rice farms who obviously spent some early days in a bar (though that is never mentioned) with no problem. They cooked food together every day, went shopping, and generally spent all day chatting and became very good friends.

TH

Sid Sanuck said:They always seem to want to establish some kind of pecking order. What does your husband do, what car do you drive etc etc. All this status crap and one upmanship. Who gives a shit? We don't.

I know of this phenomena and it has caused irepairable damage to otherwise stable relationships.

Archived