[Q] Internet banking in Thailand?

Straycat

There have been a few threads on banking in Thailand here lately...and it has been suggested that Thai Farmers Bank, Bangkok Bank and Bank of Asia are some of the good ones to choose in case you have no work permit.

Now, I know that Bank of Asia has internet banking service -- but is it anyone out there that knows if Bangkok Bank and Thai Farmers Bank offers Internet banking as well?

I would highly appreciate if someone would let me know! -- I am now in Farangland and cannot check this out easily on my own. frown.gif" border="0

The Bangkok Post Sep 3(Your Money Section) had an article about online banking but was not 100% clear to me. Citibank, Bkk Bank and Siam Commercial bank only allow paying some utility bills via direct debit.

Thi Farmers Bank --- "TFB is one of the few offering bill payment services on the internet...Apply in person or at www.gotoTFB.com. Paying bills via the website is free.

quote:

Originally posted by iono:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't there a citibank branch in Bangkok? If so you should beable to establish an online account if located U.S. then use their services in Thailand???

The Citibak is on Sathorn Road. Also There's a Bank of America on Wireless Road.

• 2 weeks later...

All--

I just activated my TFB bill-pay online.. While I don't have any bills to pay int BKK, I tried the system to see if wqorks...

Worked quite well... I paid a "bill" (a fake one submitted for me by my employer) from Krung Thai Bank... Payment was 'posted' to the account on two days (including the day of payment)... not bad...

This program I'm using allows for up to 14 billpays per month.. small charge of B10 for each over 14/mo...

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

• 5 years later...
Originally posted by iono:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't there a citibank branch in Bangkok? If so you should beable to establish an online account if located U.S. then use their services in Thailand???

Sorry but NO. The Citibank in Thailand is more like a franchise than a branch. All you will be able to do is use your US Citibank ATM card in LOS at any banks that have the Master Card logo or of course at the Citibank branch on Sathorn. I had both a US Citibank account and a Thai Citibank account thinking that I would be able to transfer funds into LOS that way. Even though they both were Citibanks it still cost $30 US for a wire transfer. Plus I had to maintain a 100,000 THB balance to keep from incurring a 100 THB per month service charge. Add that the US Citibank required $1,500 to keep from incurring monthly charges and it really was not cost effective.

Even back in 99 I was able to internet bank with SCB and used them to pay my DSL bill by EFTS. But I had to be in LOS to establish the account.

LSM

i tried to sign up at bangkok bank but given that i only had a 30 days tourist visa the required either a work permit or some paper from my embassy, they wouldn't let me. so i went across the street instead and signed up kasikornbank (farmers bank). it cost me 300 baht for a visa electron card and then i had to deposit 1000 baht into the account. they also provided me with internet banking but i'm still waiting for the email with the login details to be sent to me.

I opened recently an account in kasikorn bank branch on the corner of sukhum soi 33 without having yet my work permit (saving account) and have been asked if I wanted to use kasikorn online banking.

Since then, I have been paying my bills, my rent etc.. without problems from my laptop.

Archived