Retirement in LOS

sidsanuk

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only way I know of not to report is to become a permanent resident. Costs 100,000 baht if you are married to a Thai, 200,000 otherwise. (At least those were the prices last time I looked.) It's not that easy to get. I think you have to have lived here for so many years on a non-immigrant visa of some sort. You can't simply move here and apply for one.

With a marriage or retirement visa, you still have to report to your "parole officer" every 90 days. Of course, if you don't report all that can happen is you get hit with a 5,000 baht fine. I have friends who have never reported and say they have no problems when they renew their visa.

:dunno:

Slight correction Flash, the 90 days reporting is only applicable if one spends 90 consecutive days in Thailand, if you happen to leave within the period the 90 days starts again, as long as one has a valid re-entry visa.

The 90 day reporting does not have to be done in person, as long as correct paperwork is completed beforehand a third party can do it on your behalf.

For PR application 5 years continuous non-imm was the last I heard, but this being Thailand it is subject to change at the drop of a hat.

<< The 90 day reporting does not have to be done in person, as long as correct paperwork is completed beforehand a third party can do it on your behalf. >>

Maybe on paper, but in reality who knows. My university has someone assigned to assisting foreign lecturers with their visas and WPs. We used to be able to sign a form authorising him to make our 90 day report for us, but Immigration notified him that we could no longer do so. We have to report in person.

Immigration does have a habit of ignoring the laws and doing whatever they feel like. :(

Archived