Cost of Living (Survival) in LOS ?

sidsanuk

My wife (TG) and I have always planned to retire in LOS at some stage. Whilst we live in Oz currently, this is only because our business is mostly here. Once retirement time comes, or if the economy doesn't pick up, I doubt we could afford or want to live here any more.

So I am starting to work on plan B.

Whilst I have visited LOS probably 80-90 times and am married to a TG, I have never actually lived there, so don't really have much of a handle on the cost of living.

It's not really worth asking "what does it cost to live in LOS", because we'll all have a different view of what constitutes 'living'. Some may live like hermits UPC, whilst others live on Lower Suk and hit the bars every other nite.

So let me describe a level playing field (or benchmark) and then maybe you could share your wisdom on what that lifestyle might cost.

We would probably live on the outskirts of BKK or maybe if possible near the beach in a quiet area within 3-4 hours off BKK. Our family is in BKK so no connections UPC.

Lets assume:

•  
  • 3 Bedroom House/Apartment is owned, so no rent.
  • Average type Car/pickup is owned.
  • No major medical issues / bills (yet).
  • No Golf or Gym memberships required! Just the basics.

Lifestyle will be fairly quiet / conservative. We don't do bars / night clubs, just trips out for dinner, movies etc. We eat Thai food (though we eat good quality food). Don't smoke. Don't drink much. Yea yea OK, but we FxxK like rabbits!

What would be your estimate for monthly living expenses (one total number). This is just 'operating costs', no set up costs or capital. Just a total Monthly figure/estimate to include:

• Utilities power, gas, water(fully aircon).
  • Household rates/taxes, council charges.
  • Food and household consumables.
  • Car Registration, Insurance, Fuel, annual service. (20,000 kms / yr max)

I guess health insurance is a must. Our Oz one would not be transferable. So any ideas on a typical package for a healthy 55/45 year old couple, to cover hospital emergencies?

Any thoughts or figures most appreciated. Just trying to get a rough idea of budgets at this stage.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sid, based on my own 2 month stay in the middle of last year, I would strongly advise you to live anywhere other than BKK if you want to save money. I expect that board members will tell you that you need anything from 20K to 200K per month to live in the LOS, but so much of it will depend on how disciplined you are.

Gobble

• Utilities power, gas, water(fully aircon).
  • Household rates/taxes, council charges.
  • Food and household consumables.
  • Car Registration, Insurance, Fuel, annual service. (20,000 kms / yr max)

I live in a 310M^2 condo in mid-Suk. I eat out a lot, but when I cook, it is farang food, so keep that in mind with the grocery bill.

+++++++

Water = B1k/mo -- but that's high and imposed by the condo; reality would be B4-500/mo for a small family if you have a washing machine, less if not of course.

Electricity = avg of B5k/mo (higher in hot season, lower in cool, duh!); depends upon how much you run the aircon, how big your place is, if you have a clothes dryer, etc.

UBC = B2500/mo for the biggest package they have, down to as low as B900 I believe. Some buildings have their own cable for free or low cost, there are also some cable alternatives in some neighborhoods for cheap.

Internet = True 3Mb package B1800/mo; slower speeds cheaper (I think 1Mb is B800?)

+++++++

No property taxes. Condo association fees vary wildly, but figure B3-4k/mo as a guesstimate. Those fees are included in rental, of course.

+++++++

Food, etc. runs me about B8-10k/mo. That's for mostly imported stuff bought at Villa as I only cook farang food at home (Thai food is too good, plentiful & cheap outside to be bothered cooking it).

++++++++

I've always had company cars in LoS, so I can't help you there. I've never seen the bills :up: :up:

++++++++

You didn't ask, but domestic help runs us B6k/mo for two different gals who alternate days (off Sundays); they basically clean house (yes, they do windows LOL), wash dishes and laundry/ironing.

Eating out/entertainment costs can be from B5k-B100+k/month...

Cheers,

SD

Just to Add to SD's reply

Internet / UBC (True Vision)

You can save money by using True "Convergance" Package, I have the Gold TV package and get the 3Mb Internet package for 1100 THB/Month.

Car running cost

Cars are expensive to purchase, assuming you buy new and trade in every 3 years (warranty is 3 years / 60,000 KM whichever comes first) you are looking at 1% depreciation / Month.

Insurance approx 20,000 THB p/a

Fuel at current prices based on 20,000 KM p/a approx 3,500 THB p/m

Service costs, again if new car service is free during warranty period and you only pay for consumables 1500-2000 THB every 10,000 KM Service.

If you adapt Thai living style the cost will be dramatically less. If you are steeped in farang ways, the cost will rise dramatically.

We bought a new repossessed house that had never been lived in. We had a farang toilet put in.

Our cost were low going in and we make monthly payments.

We did buy a motorcycle (repo) and came closed to buying a car (one of the cars that run on propane or something like that). That deal didn't pan out.

As for food, we have vendors coming around selling food all the time. Refrigerator is stocked with water and not much of anything else.

I walk around with my boxer shorts on most of the time. Neighbors don't mind.

You didn't ask, but domestic help runs us B6k/mo for two different gals who alternate days (off Sundays); they basically clean house (yes, they do windows LOL), wash dishes and laundry/ironing.

Eating out/entertainment costs can be from B5k-B100+k/month...

Cheers,

SD

Didn't think about the help. Thanks for that. 100k a month for entertainment! Shit I don't spend near that in Oz. 5-10 will do us :)

Archived