Cost of Living (Survival) in LOS ?

sidsanuk

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I looked at this stuff last year and coundn't actually find where the new statons would be. ie precise road and Soi junction. (Lots of posts on that) Just very broad areas (suburbs). Maybe its been updated now.

I know when we looked at prices along the new link to the airport, they were going up fast.

I'd agree with you if you are just talking about Bangkok, Phuket and other sea side resorts. It may not be that way in 10 years when I will finally retire but I can live very cheaply about 12 kilometers outside of chiang Mai. I already have the house, car and two motorcycles. I'm 55 and by the time I'm 60 will probably buy health insurance in Thailand because, from what I understand, its a lot harder to get health insurance in Thailand once once turns 60. When I broke my uper armin a motorcycle accident 2.5 years ago, it was much cheaper to have it treated in LOS than U.S. The MRI in Bangkok was 10,000 baht versus costing $1,500 in U.S. Since medicare doesn't extend beyond the borders of the U.S., health care will be more expensive for me if I do move back to Thailand (the only reason I wouldn't move back would be because of health reasons).

This is a great thread. The OP really limited the number of 'off the cuff' answers by detailing his projected lifestyle pretty thoroughly.

I don't see anything mentioned about visa fees and how much cash will need to be deposited into a bank account to become a permanent resident. I do not know what this would cost.

What about 'tea money'. Do you guys that live in the LOS long term ever face paying a 'vig' to the local constabulary? I have been hit up on the road and payed up for an individual traffic infraction. I see how this mentality could affect a long term resident. Do people budget for this or does it not happen? I'm not talking about a bar owner...I mean just a normal guy with a family.

Sidesanuk - how will you invest your currency? All baht? Oz. currency? euro? How will you spread out your liquid cash? WHat does the board think?

Also I would consider Ko Chang...not that far from BKK and a seemingly idyllic place to retire

If you live USA style, you will pay mak mak...like USA prices.

LOS is no longer cheap. Medical is getting to be the same as the USA!!!

Internet...same as the USA/LOS is NOT the place to retire/live if you are on a budget.

Ugh, Why would I want to live USA style ? :)

Of course we will be on a budget, everyone lives to a budget of some kind, large or small. Just trying to get an idea of the 'budget' required.

Sidesanuk - how will you invest your currency? All baht? Oz. currency? euro? How will you spread out your liquid cash? WHat does the board think?

I have businesses in Oz and Thailand that will give an income, plus other sources. Not huge incomes, but more than enough.

Sid - the house I looked at had a garden large enough for a decent pool and plenty of garden left over. 15 million was asking price (too rich for me)

The new developments are awful. Some are actually good buildings, many crap buildings, none with gardens and room to breath.

Changwattana I lived at for 2 years - easy to get into town - as when I wanted to go into town everyone in town was going home most times.

Easy to get a bus to Victory monument (25 minutes) for about 20 baht.

Getting a older style bungalow is definitely the way I'd go, looking around the back of Muang Tong Thani you may find some but a lonely neighborhood.

However as I said - I found a place fitting that fairly easily closer to town. (Torent - but they will sell too) (And No I won't tell you where it is ;) ) but it's a moto ride to BTS.

Trick in Thailand is onothing happens fast, I'd move to a nice condo in your budget range for 6 months and scout around different areas till you find what you really want.

Buying is harder than renting because you are going to stay there a lot longer - if you change your mind about the area - you have to sell, renting - easier to get up and go.

Archived