Cost of Living (Survival) in LOS ?

sidsanuk

We'd rather have an older style place (with character) that has a bit of space around it, 1/2 Rai (800 square metres) or more would be nice. Bit of a garden and space for a pool. Not sure how far out we would need to go to get that at a reasonable price? Budget is probably Baht 15-20 million tops.

for LOS that's quite a huge piece of land for a single house; land prices in Bangkok even in the suburbs have gone up quite a bit. so maybe you have to consider to go out of Bangkok. forget about beach area just south of Bangkok (like Samut Prakan); closest possible areas are Chonburi, Angsila, Bangsaen, Sri Racha; many developments in this area.

as for a single house you also have to consider security, while condos or developments have security guards

also consider a maid (from 4k per month) and a gardener (with such a huge piece of land; from 6k per month)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

most of the developments have indeed a low standard of construction and houses are cramped, without any garden. not a surprise as even middle class thais have to borrow close to 100% to buy such a house usually in the range of 3-6 million.

however there are also nice ones...

hey sidsanuk mentioned 10-15M as his budget don't scare him away from some of BKK nicer suburbs with that - that will get him a very nice place in a nice new project with a large enough garden to enjoy :)

security? well speaking of which I recently had a break in (burglary) & I live in a secured project - it's all good for show, but when it comes down to it it's really not that secure unless perhaps a private alarm etc is added which we hadn't - yet :(

however your best bet as you seem to really be looking for a lot of space might be hunt for a (older) private house outside a project as they tend to offer more value on land especially if a bit remote...

although as you indicate relying on public transport, so that indicate condo is better bet?

tough bet really with locations :hmmm:

if you like the sea & plan to visit often it'd be convenient to choose the suburb either southeast for chonbori way or southwest for petchburi, huahin way ;)

alternatively choose the north & be easily connected to ayuthaya, nakhon nayok, khai yai, isan etc :)

best of luck :beer:

Sid, I know you probably won't agree but if I was in your shoes I'd keep my investments in Oz and rent in Thailand. I just don't see property prices in Bangkok being good value these days. Where as renting in all but the most expensive areas is still relatively cheap. Also as I think another poster mentioned if the area goes to pot or you want to move for another reason then not always easy to sell. On the "big dog" point, not in Bangkok my brother lives up country he has a number of dogs as did the farang next door. They had a break in after the robbers poisoned their dogs.

Simie.

Sid, I know you probably won't agree but if I was in your shoes I'd keep my investments in Oz and rent in Thailand. I just don't see property prices in Bangkok being good value these days. Where as renting in all but the most expensive areas is still relatively cheap. Also as I think another poster mentioned if the area goes to pot or you want to move for another reason then not always easy to sell. On the "big dog" point, not in Bangkok my brother lives up country he has a number of dogs as did the farang next door. They had a break in after the robbers poisoned their dogs.

Simie.

Some good points, thanks. Not really that bothered about the investment aspect. It will be our home not an investment, but I agree that renting might be an option. I just hate renting as it's 'dead' money.

Think about this - I am about to rent a house for 25K a month. To buy it would sell for 15 Million.

that's 600 months or 50 years to pay off the loan interest / inflation free.

Makes no seance to buy unless you know something i don't/

Think about this - I am about to rent a house for 25K a month. To buy it would sell for 15 Million. that's 600 months or 50 years to pay off the loan interest / inflation free. Makes no seance to buy unless you know something i don't/

I take your point. I guess I come from the old school, where rent is deemed as dead money that could be paying a mortgage. Of course in the current real estate climate, things may be different. I have pondered the rent or buy question myself.

Without going into an essay on the topic, and I am sure you appreciate this, the traditional benefit of buying is the capital gain in the value of the property when you sell it. Of course at the moment, that may be zero.

If we assume a 25 year mortgage, that rent goes up at a cpi figure of 2.5% pa, (just examples)and the property value by the same amount, indeed renting makes sense. I would be 4.6 m Baht worse off at the end (or 15,000 baht a month equivalent over the 25 years).

But if the property value went up slightly ahead of the cpi, say 3.5% pa, it is a different outcome altogether. I have a net gain of 2.4m Baht or if values rise at 4% pa 6.6m baht etc.

cpi figures etc just as examples obviously.

Of course renting has the benefit of being able to move easily etc. Another option of course is to rent, and whatever the difference between the rental and paying a mortgage......save it. In the first example above that gives me a nest egg of 11.m + at the end of 25 years.

Jeez. I sound like a bloody mortgage broker or something.

Maybe renting is better......just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe I need to take a serious look at it though. I know financial advisors here who, because of the low increase in property values, are now recommending it. (as long as you save too).

Archived