Visa to US for Thai Lady in Prague

ROOSTY

Maybe my situation is a bit unique, but any help that someone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I met a TG in Bangkok and we began keeping in touch with some interspersed visits. She had an opportunity to move to Prague for a job at a Thai massage place (no happy endings there, sorry guys) and has a work visa for the Czech Republic - as well as a Shengen visa allowing her entry into many other European countries (Germany, etc.).

I am at the point where I love her enough to do what it takes to get her to the US. That being said, the only option I see as viable is a fiance visa which gives me only 3 months to decide to marry her - and right now I feel that is not enough.

I wanted to investigate the possibility of getting her a tourist visa. I know there would be no chance if she were in Thailand. However what gives me the glimmer of hope is her circumstances - "my girl is different :)"

1) She has a "good" job that pays her 700 Euros a month plus housing and transportation.

2) I would get (I hope) a letter from her employer saying that she has the job waiting for her upon her return

3) Her Shengen visa should reduce the concern she will overstay to be in the US illegally when she can legally be in various rich western european countries.

4) If the visa can be applied for in the Czech Republic, might the embassy be less jaded about single Thai women trying to get to the US?

5) Not sure if it helps, but of course I would vouch for her in anyway that would be helpful

Not expecting someone with direct experience, but any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. I know I will likely go to a lawyer if necessary, but the more information I can gather, the more I can plan.

Thanks everybody

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why not a tourist visa. They are looking for a reason not to stay in the US and it looks like she has that IMHO.

Since she is legally resident and working in Czech, I would be certain that she would apply for the US visa there. You'll have little or nothing to do with it; they just care about her details.

Start here: http://prague.usembassy.gov This is pretty straightforward. I see no need to involve a lawyer if all you say is correct.

Good luck. In the end, the worst they can do is say no and you lose a bit of cash (the application fee).

Cheers,

SD

Roosty,

With all respect, I dont think she stands a chance.

700 Euros is way below the norm, cfr unemployement in Belgium starts at 1100 Euros per month.....

And her Schengen visa is definitely limited to 3 months, no ?

My Thai wife lives in Belgium since 4+ years, has a Belgian residence card, so permanent Schengen as wel, and she stands no chance for a tourist US visa..... :dunno:

BB

My Grandmother is Czech.

700 euros is quite a normal salary for non university educated people in Prague.

Although I must say I don't see at all how she will ever be granted a US visa in Prague.

The US embassy in Prague was really not friendly last year.

I believe the chances for her to get a visa for the US is slimmer in Prague than if she was in LOS.

Face it: She is Thai (Asian label) working in Prague (still well known for being a sex destination) ->.....

Could you clarify her Schengen visa status please?

Is it a short term (less than 3 months) or a long term one? which kind of visa, is it a work visa?

If so her situation would be almost similar to the one of another Thai lady in Europe my missus knows.

I forgot: Why the hell don't you marry her in Prague????

This is perfectly legal, if not in Prague then go to Madrid for 2 weeks together (with the right papers) and get married at the Thai embassy.

I wouldn't marry her in Prague, unless you were willing to wait 6-8 months (at least) to get a permanent residency visa from the U.S. Embassy there. In the meantime, in preparation for getting either a fiance visa or P.R. visa, you can have her get the necessary documents in advance (from Thailand); birth certificate, letter from Thai police that she has no criminal record, etc.

Thanks everybody.

She has a work visa in Prague - not sure of its duration, but she is there for at least 2 years with the Czech work visa. Regarding the Shengen visa, I honestly don't know the details. I would think it would be the short term one (not even sure why her boss paid for it).

I agree that 700 Euro's is not a lot, but factor in free rent in an apartment and her monthly tram ticket, and it is not too bad for a high school drop out and it seems like a lot to me.

It sounds like if BelgianBoy's wife would have a difficult time getting the visa, than my girlfriend would have a much worse chance. He being in Prague for less than 6 months and no husband would definitely put her behind in the line.

I was hoping SuaDum's opinion would be true, but I knew it may be wishful thinking. No decisions yet of course, but right now I don't feel like it is too likely. The reason why I won't just go for it, is I have heard a visa rejection may hurt her chances of getting another kind of visa - so if her chances are small, I may just need to wait until I am ready for the fiance visa. Definitely not considering getting married in Prague to avoid the whole thing! :-)

There is always the chance her boss may help me for the right price. Don't want to bring it up to him unless it is a sure thing, but he obviously knows part of the system enough to have gotten the czech work visa and shengen visas. He may not be happy when he finds out he is losing an employee though.

Things would be a lot easier if she had a Schengen visa allowing her to work.

I repeat, her level of income of 700 euros/month + accomodation and transportation costs are very good for the Czech republic.

(and there are quite many EU citizens working in Prague for quite less money)

I would advise you to go to the American embassy and present your case honestly and try to get some info.

Don't, I repeat, don't involve the Boss except for an employer's letter, if it turns bad she may lose her job, Schengen visa and be refused entry to the US...

Don't know for the US visas but for Schengen visas a rejection stamp is very bad for future applications.

It also depends on you, your income level etc...

Try your luck with the US embassy and see what they will say.

Does she have any diplomas/certificates which can prove her genuine massage status?

Maybe I can follow up with the Embassy. I would think if they can factor in me or my willingness to vouch or support, than we should be ok - I just thought that was not a US thing.

The Boss idea would be a last resort where I would be otherwise willing to have her quit and go back to Thailand and apply for a fiance visa there. We would need to pay 5000 Euros to get her out of her contract because he paid for the cost of getting the visa, her airfare, her apartment etc. Not worried about getting her fired :-) The whole proposition looks to be quite expensive.

I know she does not have a license from Wat Pho (if she needs to go back to Thailand to wait for a fiance visa, we already discussed that I want her to get that), but not sure about any other types of certificates.

I totally disagree with the non-Yank posters above. I still say she should qualify for a tourist visa given what you have stated (and certainly disagree with BB's statement that his wife would not qualify!).

But...up to you.

Cheers,

SD

Archived