Paradox

Ms Vampy was watching a music video today: Leah Dizon's

. She asks me "what is a paradox?"

Hmmm, a bit difficult to explain. Let's be lazy and look it up in the Thai-English dict.

No joy. I try to think of synonyms. So I come up with ��า� (kaan), which means something closer to "contridict" and explained that this was not exactly it, but close. And why.

She looks at at me and says: "You mean like what happened at the end of the story of when the young boy lied about seeing the maa paa (wolf)?"

That made me smile. "Yes, indeed."

"OK, kao jai. But honey, kaan's not the right word."

"So what is?"

"I don't remember...maybe there isn't one?"

Despite the "not remember" part (555555), it is nice having a smart GF.

So, the question to the boardies who got this far is: what IS the Thai word/phrase for a paradox?

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a word, which first part is the same as in KS' link:

à¸?à¸Âิà¸?าà¸Âยà¹?

patiphaak (tones low, low, falling)

pati opposite, contrary

phaak word, speech

while the word from KS' link is:

à¸?à¸Âิà¸?รรศà¸?à¹?ะ (tones low, low, high, low, high)

patithatsana

pati opposite, contrary (same as above)

thatsana view

you can have this also a bit easier with less sanskrit:

à¸?à¸Âิà¸?ัศà¸?ะ (tones low, low, high, high)

patithatna

Paradox's are mostly a Western thing. The Greek idea about classifying things as this or that didn't make it to Asia. Asians are comfortable with something being this and that. Same with Greek logic which dictates that if a statement is true the opposite must be false. It makes it easier to reason through a problem when you do that. But again Asians see nothing wrong with two seemingly opposite things both being true at the same time, because that is the way the world really is. Asian's understand what a paradox is but it doesn't bother them like it does a Westerner.

But again Asians see nothing wrong with two seemingly opposite things both being true at the same time, because that is the way the world really is. Asian's understand what a paradox is but it doesn't bother them like it does a Westerner.

This would explain some of the surreal encounters I've had with hotel and shop employees over there...

-=/NN

Paradox's are mostly a Western thing. The Greek idea about classifying things as this or that didn't make it to Asia. Asians are comfortable with something being this and that. Same with Greek logic which dictates that if a statement is true the opposite must be false. It makes it easier to reason through a problem when you do that. But again Asians see nothing wrong with two seemingly opposite things both being true at the same time, because that is the way the world really is. Asian's understand what a paradox is but it doesn't bother them like it does a Westerner.

I get what you are saying, but I disagree about the generalization. The concept was readily apparent with Ms Vampy, who would be an average example of a well-educated middle-class Asian...

Cheers,

SD

SD,

I am definitely making a very broad generalization. But I thought you brought up an interesting word to try to translate. I am sure you can explain what a paradox is, and most Asians who care enough to listen would understand the idea. No slight on your significant other intended. But ask a question like "If God (Buddha) can do anything, can he make a rock so heavy that he cannot lift it?" and see what happens.

I think the average Asian will spend no effort trying to answer that. You'll probably get an answer that ignores the paradox or be told that your question is silly and disrespectful. It doesn't bother them at all that it has no answer.

Again, broad generalization.

It is interesting though how certain words give insight into the cultural differences.

Well, we've had very interesting philosophical conversations the past few days based upon my fav paradox. That'd be, a fellow who walks up to you and says: "I always lie!"

Ms Vampy, (or, Mrs Tiger II) who is not so religious as pragmatic (me as well),...so that makes a big diff IMHO...

Lovely. :up: :up:

BTW, her basic take on the above is IMHO more Western than Thai (without any coaching), but who knows?

Cheers,

SD

à¸?à¸Âิà¸?าà¸Âยà¹?

bpa(L) dti (L) phaak[y](F).......... paradox

à¸?à¸Âิ bpaL dtiL [the prefix] anti- or counter-; [signifying] separation; opposition; distinction

à¸?าà¸Âยà¹? phaak[y]F [form of วาà¸Âยà¹?] word; utterance; speech

From Thai-language.com

So literally anti-speech. That's what they say anyway...

Archived