Paradox

thanks for confirming my translation given above!

now the question is why

à¸?à¸Âิà¸?ัà¸?ิ patibat to do, perform, execute (which is in in opposite to patiphaak a very common used word) has the same prefix à¸?à¸Âิ pati which means anti-, counter- ?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe that this is a word that really doesn't exist in Thai. As there are many words that exist in Thai that are not translatable to Ang-rit (in one word).

That's why living in KL was cool: everyone seamlessly slipped from English to Hokkien to Malay to Tamil to make a point because each language had things that were better said in that than (for example) English...

Cheers,

SD

I do believe that this is a word that really doesn't exist in Thai. As there are many words that exist in Thai that are not translatable to Ang-rit (in one word).

That's why living in KL was cool: everyone seamlessly slipped from English to Hokkien to Malay to Tamil to make a point because each language had things that were better said in that than (for example) English...

Cheers,

SD -- knows idioms in lots of languages...

As there are many words that exist in Thai that are not translatable to Ang-rit (in one word).

As far as direct translation is concerned I think that may well be true but in so far as it is necessary I would not agree. It is my opinion that only when an individuals grasp of the English language is less than truly comprehensive might they feel the need to employ elements of another language with which they might be either more familiar or at least more comfortable with in that particular situation or for that phrase.

English being a language of almost infinite prescision there is, again in my opinion, nothing than cannot be said or described in English.

English being a language of almost infinite prescision there is, again in my opinion, nothing than cannot be said or described in English.

5555555555555555 RM, that's just so arrogant!

Take a most famous Froggy phrase we use in English: "je ne sais quoi." As in "she has a certain 'je ne sais quoi.'"

Literally translated, it means: "I don't know what."

But we all know it means so much more: as in "I'm into that concept, but I'm not sure why." Even that is not exactly right, too difficult to say 100% what it means, tho' I *do* know what you mean as a native English speaker, if you say that...

Lots of examples of that, shitting all over English language...

Cheers,

SD

propably 99% of the Thais do not use this word and i guess the big majority does not even know its meaning; but that does not mean it does not exist!

�ม�ม��ู�ภาษา��ย, but the downloadable version of www.thai2english.com (which by the way is very good) agrees with the website KS linked.

à¸?à¸Âิà¸?รรศà¸?à¹? bpaÃŒ?-dtiÃŒ?-taÃŒÂt, paradox

à¸?à¸Âิà¸?าà¸Âยà¹? bpaÃŒ?-dtiÃŒ?-paÃŒ?ak is given as "retort ; reply ; answer"

why not go for this one: à¸?าราà¸?à¹?อà¸Âà¸?à¹?

educated thai will understand! maybe better than the sanskrit one à¸?à¸Âิà¸?รรศà¸?à¹? or à¸?à¸Âิà¸?รรศà¸?à¹?ะ (both difficult for pronounciation as well; www.thai3english.com is not very helpful in this!) or the shortened à¸?à¸Âิà¸?ัศà¸?ะ (less sanskrit!) or the à¸?à¸Âิà¸?าà¸Âยà¹?

propably 99% of the Thais do not use this word and i guess the big majority does not even know its meaning; but that does not mean it does not exist!

I doubt any English speaker's use the word daily or yearly, but then all English speakers are liars as are all Thai speakers!

What the FARK is a paradox anyway?

Archived