Betrothal/engagement in LOS

drogon

Could as weel be posted in legal/family sections....

Someone told me a long time ago about some specifically Thai customs regarding the betrothal.

Could some board members refresh my memory please?

A ring? Two rings? which finger? Gifts? Cerremony etc...?

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - first off sorry - had a tough week - you brides present will be deposited next week ( ;) ) that will keep many wondering . . .

Second - I have been to many weddings - from Hi So Thai - Hi So Thai Chinese - too my own (which I wasn't even invited too - how rude is that!)

Traditions seem to vary from family to family - too area etc.

I was asked by my wife if I had ever heard of a Muslim tradition of paying the wife family 120 baht.

Never had I heard of it - but some family we know recently did that.

ASK YOUR WIFE TO BE

After all - you are the new husband and if you are going to trust your future life with her - trust her advice on her traditions - while many here have been married - the experiences vary greatly. Far more information than you should reveal about your wife's background is needed to make a valid comment.

All the best though - can I come to the wedding and take a few pictures?

If I listen to her.

Valentine is a stupid celebration just invented to spend money. (I share her point of view but I am a dumb romantic)

Betrothal/engagement: Good if the husband to be is Thai otherwise this is not important

Sinsot: Good to make the Thai family happy but the amount is up to the husband to be

Marriage: This is for life, no divorce, couple has to share the tasks (me cleaning dishes, she cleans the clothes, clean the condo together etc...)

Thanks for your answer CTO

Guests and photos are allowed -> if there is a ceremony/celebration....

The marking of the day of St Valentine(s) plural since more than one, is a Christian festival and should have as much relevance to a respectful Buddhist as the marking of Eid al Fitr (a prominent(sic) day in the Muslim calendar). Any reference to such an occasion should be considered with supreme caution lest it be an attempt to either a. Undermine their own religious heritage, or b. Subvert your own understanding of said religious heritage. Tread warily.

Other useful info:

Sinsot expectancy (This is descendancy dependant)

Issan = 1 Million Baht

Northern and Central also Bangkok* Thai = 10 times likely monthly salary of the sinsotted female

Southern = Whatever

* Excludes those from well known and publicly recognisable families in which case = mega dosh plus extras

Actually I have never heard about this 'betrothal' thing in Thailand. I have heard about when one or both parties admits to sexual intercourse whereupon a cry is uttered that a marriage is demanded. Thought that was it.

Pretty much anything else seems steeped in baloney and subterfuge.

YMMV.

Bachelor party is not an option because I wouldn't survive a bachelor party in LOS.

Anyway marriage is not for now (but it could depending on the economical and political situation in LOS)

You will never get married if it is dependent on a stable political situation in LOS. :grin:

The economical situation is worldwide crap. :help:

Archived