What if Granny really IS sick ?

cheekyboy

My understanding is, Thai have some sort of health care (where as we "Developed" Americans do not) and thus should NOT need our $$ to help with a sick granny. I would think any slightly savy farang/punter should know this.

Actually Sis and I were talking about this while I was in hospital last night. (A strange episode of a reaction, possibly, to my diabetes meds. Or a reaction caused by my missing my meds the day before, possibly.)

The thing is the 30 baht healthcare scheme is not really liked or used by many because it gives them little 'real' healthcare. Mostly a free room in a large ward in the government hospital and access to paracetemol, which seems to be handed out for any damned thing as a placebo.

I have a story I'll write up soon on a neighbor's brother, 39, good health, that died recently due to this. I went to the funeral a few weeks ago. His daughter and son live next door to me with their aunt who is a teacher in the local high school, great woman, while they go to school here in Surin for the better educational access than in their hometown/village. Wonderful kids who have just lost their father due to the ineptitude and lack of true care at these government facilities. No reason at all for him to have died except a lack of pharms for him. All he needed in the beginning were some prophilactic antibiotics once he had a fairly minor operation. Instead he was given paracetemol and sent home after the op. Most will not use the 30 baht scheme due to this lack of true medical care and most would rather go into debt and use one of the private care hospitals. It is a sham really and only the poorest use it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My understanding is, Thai have some sort of health care (where as we "Developed" Americans do not) and thus should NOT need our $$ to help with a sick granny. I would think any slightly savy farang/punter should know this.

I've heard two stories of relatives dying that I believe are true. Listening to them it sounded like chemotherapy and transplants weren't even considered as options.

I have heard good and bad about the health care Thais receive. The question is of course what would they do if you weren't around? or no farang was around to help?

Now the ethical debate here...if you really do know for fact that granny is truly sick and your money can help...are you morally obligated to pay it? As in is it really your responsibility?

Now a related story on this...in 2000, I was in Nepal, in Kumbu or somewhere, at the Hillary hospital, and the Doctor's husband, who was her assistant (woman doctor) from New Zealand, made what I considered a clear pitch to get us to donate $300usd for some Sherpa's Chemo. NOT one of us made a move to pay it, though many did leave generous donations not knowing what they would be used for.

Now, While I felt the plea was honest, clear and to the point (the therapy would prolong the guys life maybe 5 more years or so etc...) I didn't pay it. I had no doubt the guy was telling the truth, but I felt no obligation to pay it...Years later, it still bothers me that I had the opportunity to do something, and did not do it.

So never mind about helping whores, the bigger question worth discussion might be "are we morally obligated to help anyone we see/know is suffering, if we can help them?" Discuss...

Morally obligated? depends on your set of morals, your background, your culture and your upbringing.

The old "do unto others..." can play into the picture.

At some point, you will have to say "no", because you have limited finances, etc.

After you work all you life and pay thousands upon thousands of dollars in taxes and whatnot, the gov should be taking the lead on setting up health care programs.

If you have the extra $$$, sure help out...but where does it stop?

I remember a long time ago I had a bar girl living with me. Everything worked out fine except once a year her 'boyfriend' would come to Bangkok. Just like clockwork, he showed up one year and they were gone for 2 weeks. Turned out, she got sick and needed an operation. He paid something like 50,000 baht. It nearly ruined his budget but it saved me a lot of money.

Moral of the story is why should Thais expect us to bail them out every time they get sick?

My question and thus the topic of discussion, "where does it end?"

So in your example, $300 buys 5+ yrs of life for one person. That same $300 could cover the cost of vaccinations for hundreds of children. So possibly extending the life of tens of children 50+ yrs. Now where is the morality? :dunno:

Archived