Against my better judgment

HeartThais

Just had wife's brother start with a cart (attached to his motorbike) selling hot/cold coffee/tea in the surrounding villages.

he buys materials (coffee, ice etc) for 200/300B/day and makes 200/400B net profit/day.

Guess his cart and cooking material costed less than 10k.

Told him to buy a piggy bank and put 50B aside each day :idea:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HT, you've obviously fallen for this girl, so your judgement maybe clouded by that fact.

Unless you're some sort of philanthropist who as a sideline is into heavy end masochism, you're going to be fucked. Sweet she may be, but business savvy she is highly unlikely to be.

As has been said start small.

The thing that will fuck this up is money....

Now she's getting a lot for doing little. You're asking her to do a lot for a little......and what's the payoff for her? Your bonus? She could get 200k in 3 or 4 months fucking farangs...why wait a year? I'd suggest she'll need a bigger carrot.......

Your intentions are honourable and well intentioned (I presume you are offering her this deal strings free, so you wont be fucking her as part of it), but you are dealing with a BG! I don't know the girl, maybe she is different, but I'd suggest if she's been working for quite a while your offer of honest money will be looked upon as a nice concept, shame about the reality....she can make a lot more being dishonest....

The question I have is what kind of business can an undereducated girl with about 500k total get into in Thailand? A bangkok business is preferred but not mandatory. She's not finished high school and yet I think she has decent street smarts (above the typical BG street smarts.) Her english is above average (close to excellent) for a BG.

It doesn't matter what business you open for her, because she lacks the entrepeneurian skills. Whatever business you will open for her, she will run it in the ground. What she needs to do is get a job first to gain some experience in the field she wants to work in. See what works, and see what doesn't. Then maybe, after a couple of years opening a business could be an option.

I know it doesn't sound glamorous and it means she actually has to work, so she probably won't be up for it, but IMO it's the only way, besides getting her educated.

Hey guys, he was not asking for advice on the decision, which he has already admitted may not be the wisest one he ever made, he was asking for ideas on how to implement it. Even though it may be more fun to criticize it and at the same time show off your extensive knowledge of the BG work ethic and psyche, there can still be some fun in helping him spend his 300k.

My contribution would be to check out some of the many franchises that are around. Most of it wonâ??t be English, so you will need help finding a good one. Some of these can done within the very small start up capital you have budgeted.

Good luck, running a small business sounds much better then the reality of it.

TH

I think a reality check is needed, hence my stance. Many people would use that amount of money more wisely. I guess I don't see any fun throwing away money, I was brought up to respect my hard-earned.

Lucky for you that you wouldn't care about throwing such figures about to all and sundry...and even better for you that you enjoy watching someone else fritter away their cash.

Each to their own I guess.

As Cav and CTO have both pointed out, the business should be something that SHE WANTS TO DO, not something that you want her to do to take her away from the bar scene, if she is not interested in the business then it is prone to failure.

If you have not mentioned the amount you are prepared to invest to her yet, then I suggest you dont. Ask her for her ideas about what type of small business she would like to set up, let her tell you how much is needed to rent premises / stall and how much is required to be invested in stock if its going to be a retail venture.

Based on her ideas you will be able to judge if she is being realistic and guage the probabilities of success v failure, as the old addage goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"

Offering her 350K up front would be a recipe for disaster IMHO, discussing her business plans and then agreeing to finance them if if falls within your own pre-determined budget would have a better chance of sucess, remember its still her life.

Guest lazyphil

hey HH, bust is the founder member of the palace of righteous justice!

Before any of us buy a airline ticket to LOS we should think twice and donate to a charity. forget self. ;)

Archived