Against my better judgment

HeartThais

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a better business than the one she already has making 350K/year?

Excellent post.

So if I give a pithy cynical remark that is unrelated to the original question, it is an excellent post?

Ok, let me pretend for a second that jonjon wasn't being a prick on purpose. Yes, I agree obviously that for a BG, fucking men is going to be more lucrative than just about any other job. So thank you for pointing out the obvious.

For the purposes of this discussion, let's assume a) there are reasons for her wanting to get out of the business. B) I'm not expecting any kind of return on investment. In fact, I think this will most likely fail. c) I am not trying to buy her out of the bar business - in other words, she is free to fuck whomever she wants, whenever, for any amount of money. d) I have my own reasons for wanting to do this that have nothing to do with philanthropy. I'm not asking for advice on my rationale.

What I really want to know is what kind of business can 500K buy you?

Why 500K? You can get a stall and make a ok living and train yourself (her) on how to run a business/

Any business worth 500K is going to need a bit of training on running a business - big leap and setting her up to fail.

Why not set her up to win and start smaller working your way up

"What I really want to know is what kind of business can 500K buy you? "

Not a whole lot actually and certainly not one that will provide much income. Even if you expect to net say 10k a month (about 300 baht a day), that would be expecting about a 25% return a year on the investment.

If that was easily possible, everyone would be doing it.

TH

Actually - going on that interesting point - spending 20 000 baht on a stall and stock - you'd get a 200 baht a day return (our experience). Far better than 500K :)

That said the Sat-Ed learning cafe (in Sakon Nakorn) makes 10 000 baht a month profit after costs etc (wages as well) and cost less than 500K to set up.

Most likely wasting your time and money here. The question is WHY? Why spend your money on her? what is your long term goal with her?

I am reminded of the old adage "give a man a fish and he has food for a day, teach a man how to fish and he will have food for a life time..." you are basically "giving her a fish" here...short of teaching her anything/giving her the skills she needs to succeed...you are doing her no favors at all. In fact you may well be hurting her in the long run and wasting your money and time.

a better business than the one she already has making 350K/year?

Excellent post.

So if I give a pithy cynical remark that is unrelated to the original question' date=' it is an excellent post?[/quote']

No. The answer is perfectly related to your original question, and provides a crucial insight. She is already working in the best line of work available to her. Your willingness to hand over 350K baht to her is evidence of that. Think rationally. If she remains a bargirl, is she likely to make that kind of money again? I say yes. If she opens a noodle stall or whatever, is she likely to make 350K baht in one year? No.

If you are determined to spend the money on her, put it in a certificate of deposit, or similar instrument, in a first-world country, and give her access (with an ATM card) to the monthly income from that, but not to the principal. That will improve her life a lot more than a failed hair salon where she can hire all her friends.

Archived