Visa for Thai GF to Japan?

Any of y'all got any experience with the Japanese embassy and tourist visas? Any tips? Same as Western countries (tight-arsed) or more easy going like other Asian countries?

Ms Vampy would like to go to Japan with me next trip.

Cheers,

SD

A friend of my wife's got a tourist visa for japan and bought a R/T ticket and was going to stay for 3 months with his sister, who lived and worked in Japan. He was going to make money doing massages. He got to immigration in Narita with 300 baht and spoke no Japanese. They kept him for 3 hours and decided he was coming to work and sent him back to Thailand on a later flight. I'm assuming you will stay for only a week or two and can show reasonable proof that she isn't going to work there. I don't think you will have any problems with immigration.

Ya, we'll be travelling together. I go there for two weeks every quarter and work with a fairly well-known Japanese company. But of course, they look at each individual independently, so that may or may not make a difference (likely not). Tho' I could say she's my secretary and travelling with me for biz... :dunno:

Cheers,

SD

Hey SD,

Seems I'm finally planning for my 2nd trip to Japan (first one being 3day Tokyo uni 'study tour' way back then!) next month (Osaka, Tokyo etc) & bringing TW & possibly daughter!

So no Embassy experiences yet, but yeah apparently unlike Korea Thais need a visa & according to the travel agency it should be quick & smooth sailing just need to handover some docs like bank statements etc to prove the usual as you said - separate the illegal workers/prostitutes from the regular tourists.

I guess for your 'secretary' plan to work it would need your company to issue a letter stating she is indeed a colleague of yours which you may be able to arrange?

Alternatively as you're traveling with her (same flights) I guess even as not married (yet LOL) you could vouch for her with your bank statements?

Cheers!

p.s. any family friendly 'must sees' for the genuinely 'culturally' interested in the Tokyo-Osaka area?

Osaka castle - that sounds a bit german?

A bit like the kings former palace in Petchaburi build by a German & looking the part completely (at least from outside)...

Anyway looking up the place it looks fairly non german so that's a good thing although admittedly German castles can be quite impressive (in Germany).

Thanks for the tip - cheers!

Osaka castle - that sounds a bit german?

A bit like the kings former palace in Petchaburi build by a German & looking the part completely (at least from outside)...

Anyway looking up the place it looks fairly non german so that's a good thing although admittedly German castles can be quite impressive (in Germany).

Thanks for the tip - cheers!

Osaka Castle is quite impressive, you might have seen it already, since it is shown in every Samurai movie. Also Osaka has an absolute fantastic Aquarium.

Nice for strolling around in Osaka is Amerikamura (American Village), which is a nice fashion district with many small shops.

Also there is a new museum for contemporary art in Osaka, link.

Go to the south:

Kobe city, cultural

Hiroshima, the A-bomb memorial museum

Nagasaki, the other A-bomb city

Matsushima, small island off Hiroshima, can reach by train, great natural hot water spa area

Kyoto, the former capital of Japan, before Tokyo, very cultural, lots of shows and geisha ladies about.

North:

Hokkaido (island, take train under the sea to reach)

Sapporo, home of the Sapporo brewery, two hours of all the food you can eat and beer you can drink, cheap ($20 each).

A friend of mine has a Thai girlfriend/fiance' and they recently applied for a tourist Visa for her to visit here in Japan. They used a visa agency place and was assured approval.

After numerous delays and stress it was finally denied. He had sponsored her or whatever, used his financial documents to help the cause but it may have backfired. I think the Japanese immigration officials suspected she was coming here to get married. Tourist Visa is probably not the correct category to apply for if marriage was their intention.

Archived