Demoncrats Pushing the US Off a Cliff

Hugh_Hoy

Alan Keyes does and always has scared me. He's way too far right and he's also a social conservative. Fiscal conservatives (true fiscal conservatives that is, not the ones that only want to lower rates for rich) don't bother me if they are socially moderate.

The stimulus bill has problems. Some things I like (infrastructure) some things I don't (pork).

However, I honestly don't think McCain would have done anything I would agree with more than what is being done now. He was the one in Washington leading the charge for the Republicans to sign of on the first one.

HH, I hear ya. I also agree that it may be best not to do too much and let parts of the economy sort itself out (banking and financial institutions for example). Which isn't politically feasible but should be done. I've asked this before. What do the Republicans suggest be done? I don't hear anything other than what parts of the bill they don't like. Which I assume by default that they agree with the rest of it. Some were voting no on specific things being included instead of the whole thing on principle.

Economists can't even agree. They are split.

I understand that the bill goes against everything you stand for ideologically. However, I would also suggest that both parties now go against everything you stand for ideologically. When are you gonna start supporting Ron Paul? :thumbup: There is a true outsider and maverick.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And please show me the experienced GOP old hands who are able to run the country and who are *not* connected to the last eight years of GWB's government. (Palin? ;) , McCain? :grin: , Rush L.? :grinyes: )

Do Steve Forbes, T. Boone Pickens, and Mitt Romney quality in your opinion? (Just for openers.)

HH

And please show me the experienced GOP old hands who are able to run the country and who are *not* connected to the last eight years of GWB's government. (Palin? ;) ' date=' McCain? :grin: , Rush L.? :grinyes: )

[/quote']

Do Steve Forbes, T. Boone Pickens, and Mitt Romney quality in your opinion? (Just for openers.)

HH

That's completely hypothetical.

Two of them don't have a *real* political function at the moment. Also Pickens is already 81 years old and a 'Swift Boater' (if this isn't a strong GWB connection I don't know...).

Does Romney have any influence at the moment?

I ask because we are talking about today, not about April or August, about today's GOP major players. The only thing I see is an internal power struggle within the GOP, but not one fresh idea (tax cuts anybody?).

Of HH's choices, I'll go with Forbes if the three offered were the only choice. Forbes is basically a fiscal conservative.

T Boone wouldn't make a good president I think. His gas thingy is all well and good. I agree with weening ourselves off oil but I used to follow his career.

Corporate raider in the '80s and he made a huge play on natural gas years ago so that may be the reason behind his push for it. Although I agree with a lot of it. I don't think Pickens has the temperment for President. He's a corporate gunslinger used to having his own way and as President, compromise is your middle name.

Although I don't think he's as committed to social conservatism as some think, I was worried how much to heart the religious right took to Romney and that concerns me greatly. I think he and Huckerbee got a lot of the social conservatives because of McCain who has a history of tangling with them.

Forbes has spent his life running his daddy's magazine and that is a little worrying as well as he's used to being in charge. Forbes would also be a good friend to big business. He's always been a huge advocate of slashing capital gains and such. Not that I don't disagree but its in his own self interest as he runs a wall street magazine and he has large holdings himself.

Ron Paul is the only Republican that has the integrity and ideas and he's really a libertarian.

To be fair, not many Dems I can identify as well who I think would be good. Russ Feingold has the integrity. Some of the more centrist Dems are worth a look as well.

HH, is it fair to categorize your ideology as fiscal conservatism, free marketer, easy on the social stuff? I'm saying that judging by your choices and some of the posts?

Honestly, I would not go with any of them.

If you throw a Republican, a Democrat and a rattlesnake in a bag and shake the bag and then reach in to pull out whatever you first touch, you are going to get biten.

When a politician comes forth and comes clean about the great ponzi scheme the government has pulled over the eyes of the USA people in the disquise of Social Security and Medicare, then I will pay attention and listen to what he has to say. Until then, what is mostly said, is mostly the fecal matter that comes out of the ass of a bull.

Ron Paul is the only Republican that has the integrity and ideas and he's really a libertarian.

Choco, you really need to look into Ron Paul a bit more...he is a *complete* nutcase! I know that if you really looked into his positions on things, you'd run away screaming. That's not to say he's not correct on a couple of things, but as they say "even a broken clock is right twice a day."

Cheers,

SD

Archived