famous or impressive quotes

BelgianBoy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to beat Dorothy Parker for excellent quotes...and attitude on life in general IMHO. Certainly at the top of my list of "heros." I do *so* wish I had been able to have a cocktail or thirty with her!

To wit:

-- Brevity is the soul of lingerie.

-- If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.

-- Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.

-- The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-- I don't care what is written about me so long as it isn't true.

-- The two most beautiful words in the English language are "check enclosed."

-- You can lead a whore-to-culture, but you can't make her think. (When asked to use the word "horticulture" correctly in a sentence.)

-- You can't teach an old dogma new tricks.

Are there any other quotes that even need saying? She (was) my soulmate; I'd reckon the ultimate groovy chick. And not bad looking either! 55555555

Cheers,

SD -- always looking for an Asian Dottie Parker...Ms Vampy is close, but not exactly there (but that's an impossible goal, eh?)

Alimony is like buying hay for a dead horse.

Groucho Marx

All people are born alike - except Republicans and Democrats.

Groucho Marx

Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.

Groucho Marx

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

Groucho Marx

Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife.

Groucho Marx

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.

Groucho Marx

From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it.

Groucho Marx

Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough.

Groucho Marx

Go, and never darken my towels again.

Groucho Marx

Humor is reason gone mad.

Groucho Marx

I didn't like the play, but then I saw it under adverse conditions - the curtain was up.

Groucho Marx

"It was a woman who drove me to drink. Come to think of it, I never did hang around to thank her for that." - Dean Martin

Dino may have said it, but he stole it from W.C. Fields.

Another.... Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

While hardly a one-liner quote, Churchill's 'we shall fight them on the beaches' speech never fails to send shivers down my spine. When I first heard it, I assumed that he was largely preaching to the converted, but he had almost as much opposition at home as he had waiting across the Channel. Frightening to think that there were powerful politicians in England who wanted to sue for peace with Hitler, a man who had already shown that he didnt think much of treaties.

On the other side of the coin, Churchill engineered the disastrous Dardanelles campaign in WWI that saw so many Aussies/Kiwis and Brits killed for very little gain, so I have mixed feelings toward the man.

Archived