Korean restaurant?

drogon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Samak:

I would like to meet Jeon Ji-hyeon, Shin Min-a, Na-yeong Lee and a few others...could you help me please?

If necessary I can use my original K name

instead of my farang name...I am long time traitor as except Korean history, movies, dramas I know nothing about Korea

:neener:

Based on the recommendations on this site, had dinner at Ehwawon on Soi 31 tonight. Overall thumbs up.

First of all, it is a pretty good deal. We had Kalbi (marinated beef short ribs), Sam Kap Sal (bacon), Daenjang Jigae (miso stew), Gochoo Pajun (scallion and pepper pancake). Plus a bottle of soju (they had 4 different sojus on offer, we went with Chamisul). Normally the barbeque comes with lettuce, raw garlic, peppers and onion but this had to be ordered separately for 80 baht and also came with some butternut squash, carrot, and bell peppers. Sadly the spicy green chili peppers were missing. All together, the meal cost 950 baht.

The menu is fairly small but has most of the standard crowd pleasers including even the chinese-korean favorites like Chachang Myun (noodles in black bean sauce). I would say the food was fairly authentic. The banchan (side dishes) included four types of kimchi. All of the kimchi was a bit oversweet and underspicy. I've already mentioned the missing green chili for the bbq but the most conspicuous evidence that we were in Thailand was the miso paste was obviously not korean miso. Korean miso is thick, chunky, earthy and smells... ripe (to be polite). The miso stew and the samjang (miso and red pepper paste mixed) was obviously not made with Korean miso. However, there was no mistaking the fact that this was korean food and I would in no way be surprised if had been served by any of my relatives.

The bbq is on charcoal, not gas grills which is a huge plus in my book. The korean bacon was cut in a way I've never seen before. Usually it looks like American bacon with thin strips of meat supporting thick slabs of fat. This cut was round in shape and relatively quite lean. A bit disappointing if you are a pork fat fan as I am. The kalbi meat is average quality, not particularly well-marbled but the marinade was quite good. The great thing is that both the prices and portions are modest so you can try a few different types of meat even for a party of two.

The scallion pancake was light and crispy. It was better than traditional which can start off crispy and then become a heavy, soggy sponge after sitting 20 minutes or so. This pancake somehow retained its crispiness while sitting there waiting for this pair of gluttons to finish the rest of the meal. The miso stew on the other hand resembled an issan style soup more than a hearty korean stew. It was very tasty, just unlike any korean stew I've ever had.

Anyway, excellent value for money. Service was very good with the girls waiting attentively to refill my shotglass with soju at slightest provocation. 3.5 stars out of 5.

Next time try the spicy pork. It rocks! The beef tongue is good too, with paper thin slices...

Interesting the take on the fattiness of the meat, as I prize lean cuts over fatty. To each their own, I guess, which is why reviews like this are good. Thanks for that AM.

I forgot to mention the charcoal vs gas, which is a *huge* plus for me as well!

The kimchi deffo seems to vary wildly, but I think it does (per season) in Korea too. :dunno: Seems to me that I've gotten green chillis on the "lettuce" plate before, but not a huge priority for me, so can't recall 100%.

Cheers,

SD

Archived