TGs, money and status

gobbledonk

Dont get me wrong guys - I am not living in a cave reading Karl Marx, and I do enjoy the things that money can buy, but I get really pissed off with this worldwide fascination with Dolce and Gabbana over the things that really matter : home and hearth. Maybe I am just an old bastard trying to force my view of the world on someone who is twenty years younger, but I was stupid enough to believe that she might just be ready to accept some of these ideas after our Bali holiday. She showed a lot more maturity when pushed into a situation where she neither spoke the language nor had friends to 'impress', and I liked what I saw - fast forward to this trip and its the same old shit over again.

I just dont accept that this obsession with money is restricted to BGs - Emporium, Siam Paragon and Robinson dont stay in business purely for Farang. If they earnt it, good luck to them, but this 'Gimme,gimme,gimme !' mentality really annoys the shit out of me. Lets just forget the all-expenses-paid holidays north and south, the dinners for her friends and family, the photo session in Chiang Mai that started at 1500 and soon became 2800 baht - why should I care about such a trifling amount when I am a *rich* Farang ? I tried to explain to her that the Aussie dollar is currently on par with the Iraqi Dinar, and buys you 3/8ths of f*ck all, but I may as well have been talking about space travel. Its all about 'you take care me, OK ?'. How about taking care of *yourself* ? I got a lecture about how much rent she had to pay each month, and a blank look when I replied that every other tenant in her building has exactly the same problem, but I suspect they actually work for a living.

As for BGs being for fun, not for a relationship, I realise that my mistake was to think that she might be able to drag herself out of the bar and do something with her life. I realise that all the talk about selling clothes for a living is just a pipedream, albeit a dangerous one in these difficult economic times. So much easier to listen to her dropkick friends as they wait for the visa to Sweden, UK etc.

Above all, I am pissed off that I spent thousands on a holiday where my happiest memory is of the 4-5 hours I spent talking to a Katoey and her (female) sister on Soi 4 on Thursday morning. For the cost of a few beers, they laughed at my BS and I at theirs : its all I ever wanted from Thailand.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Above all, I am pissed off that I spent thousands on a holiday where my happiest memory is of the 4-5 hours I spent talking to a Katoey and her (female) sister on Soi 4 on Thursday morning. For the cost of a few beers, they laughed at my BS and I at theirs : its all I ever wanted from Thailand.

Oh-oh......is there a new switch hitter being born?? ;)

You fell for a wrong-un....that's all. Plenty more fish in the sea. I've known plenty of BGs similar to your one, back in my bad old days. There are a lot like that.

Take a deep breath, pick yourself up and start all over again. Or so I've heard it said. Keep looking...maybe have at more suitable ladies, who don't work in a bar. You seem far too nice to settle for less, when you could and should have more!

Relax Troyboy - said Katoey is the only member of the Third Sex that I have anything to do with, having met her during a drinking session on my last trip. Great English and lightning wit - two things that Ms CP increasingly lacks - but that is as far as the attraction goes. Her sister, on the other hand, had a rack that made me rethink my vow of celibacy, but Ms CP kept an eagle eye on proceedings. Despite her own past, she really looks down on the FLers and that annoys me - they all sell it, so who cares where the hell they sell it from ?

The other thing about my ladyboy friend is that she is one of very few who have a good relationship with the Soi 4 girls, and manages to approximate a Thai woman in height and demeanour : a lot of the others are just foul-mouthed schoolboys in a dress. Talk about screaming queens ... ;)

GD, obsession with money & material goods is, as you said, a worldwide problem (ever dated a Taiwanese gal, for instance LOL?). Has really not too much to do with BGs, save BGs are lazy and want everything easy and for free, hence why they are BGs and not working a normal job (this economy not withstanding, but that's another subject). That easy & free stuff is nice work if you can get it, but not reality. The regular girls have that figured out already (witness Ms CP's friend).

Faustian, I thank you for your kind words, but I think you give me too much credit. I only returned to Thailand on that first trip last year after Malaysia turned out to be a little quieter than I had hoped for - booking into Nana Hotel for 6 nights pretty much sums up my intentions at that point. Things only got complicated when I came back to Thailand for 2 months and found myself in deeper than I had bargained on. A lot of it was alcohol, and I have to ask myself whether drinking has really done me any favours. :(

I have seen plenty of Asians (Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese, Singaporean) hooked on BGs. It is not just a farang affliction

Absolutely. Anyone recall the Japanese punter who killed his NP girlfriend, then himself, last year ? You kinda know that you've lost it when it gets to that stage ... :crazy:

GD, I think you spoiled her. Probably not on purpose but it's difficult for someone who's never gone on a vacation herself to understand the difference between a vacation budget and everyday living. This is assuming she can do math in her head.

I don't know your situation so I can only guess. It doesn't sound like you plan on marrying her. And it doesn't sound like you plan on bankrolling the lifestyle she's become accustomed to as a BG. It does sound like you hope she can transform herself (with some modest help from you) into an independent girl that you can have a farang-style dating relationship without guarantee of marriage. Am I wrong?

I do agree BGs are lazy but leaving it at that implies all they need to do is correct a character flaw to change their lives. I think most of these girls are trapped in their lives and lifestyle. It's one thing to downsize your life by 80% because you got laid off. It's another thing to voluntarily do so, whether or not you love someone. It might seem like asking a girl to prove her devotion/love by giving up that lifestyle is as good a test as any other but not one that translates well into Asian value systems, IMO.

It might seem like asking a girl to prove her devotion/love by giving up that lifestyle is as good a test as any other but not one that translates well into Asian value systems, IMO.

No - I have never asked her to leave the bar, and she still worked there for several months after I came back to Oz. A lot of it simply stems from the fact that there are only so many years that anyone can expect to live that life and not get tired of it - she is 30 years old and knows that she needs to find something else. Her last attempt at running a legit business went belly up (no customers ..), but she wants to return to selling the same thing in the same freakin market : isnt that the clinical definition of stupidity ?

I do know that having another Aussie sponsor her for 2 years previously hasnt helped my cause, but I have no intention of funding a life of leisure for anyone - I asked her why she doesnt work in a restaurant like some of her friends, but apparently 7k a month isnt enough money when 'many Falang like me'. I get all kinds of static like 'K* email me and say he want to marry me' : when I ask her why she doesnt marry K*, all I get is the look. Other times, its the 'I lub you too mutt' spiel : never get tired of hearing that old chestnut.

End of the day, we reap what we sow. I just want Ms Bali back - she was a different human being, but I guess thats part of the actress in all of them.

Archived