50 Baht to the Pound

Ckrisg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I transfer money to the joint bank account me and my missus own. (SCB) I use the option OUR (which means the sender pays all commissions/fees) and of course in euros.

On the receiving end it seems they take around 300 bht but I must say the exchange rate is really up to date (unlike with my BKK bank account)

Well I actually think like many countries that the rates are 'dictated' by the central/national bank as published several times daily.

Only reason you may see slightly different rates at different banks (at exact same time) is that they may selectively only apply certain of the 'available' rates throughout the day, but in the end sending a shitload of fx into different LOS banks should yield the same bt amount bank fees disregarded...

A decent site for comparing the current days' exchange rate for the various Thai Banks:

http://bankthailand.info/ExchangeRates.htm

thats pretty much what I am doing at the moment....it seems though you cant afford the receiver having to pay a fee...

It has nothing to do whether or not I can afford it, that is the bank's fee (as Drogon has confirmed) - I am only answering the bleeding debate ponderings on how to save money when sending money overseas. :susel:

Afford wrong choice of words (twice in one posting) I meant avoid.

Next time I send money, I will check to see if I can pay the fees at this end. As an example, my friend asked me to send £300. My bank charged £18. Fair enough. However, the recipiants bank took 1000baht...This was the Thai Farmers Bank

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone used " Moneygram " ? I'v used it loads of times in the last 3 years or so.You get forms from most Post Offices in the UK,the reciever has always got the money sent within minutes,the commision they take comes down the more you send obviously,i think last one i did was £300 plus about £18 commision,they convert your ammount sent into Bhat so you can view right away how much the reciever is going to get..i'v always got about 1 bhat less to the official bank rate,not the shite tourist rate.

Regards,

http://www.moneygram.com/MGI/index.htm

WTF, the Baht was at 53 to the Pound last week, now we are back to 50.8. Something is really wrong with this. Lots of good news coming out of the UK lately, the economy has bottomed out and there are signs of recovery. Thailand just looks ultra buggered for the foreseeable...so what is going on?

Archived