50 Baht to the Pound

Ckrisg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure how you did your money transfer but one important tip, never have the bank change the money of your home country currency to Thai baht and then get them to undertake the money transfer in baht currency.

Always send it to the person you are sending it to in your own countries currency, i.e. if in England send your money in English pounds to the intended recipient. Otherwise, you end up loosing another 2-5% of the amount of the money sent on top of the extortionate fee.

Also, shop around; 18-pound fee seems a bit excessive. In Oz, I send money by ANZ bank at 32 $AUD (12 pound) and, if I do it on the net, it is only $20.00 AUD (8 pound).

When I do a wire transfer to Thailand the lowest fee/commission I get is around 40 euros...

The positive point, money is on the Thai bank account in 30 minutes, sometimes less and the exchange rate is the current one (on the Thai bank side)

All in all, western union/moneygram are a scam, they charge high commissions and steal on the exchange rate.

I used WU a lot too...

The commission/fee might be explained by the fact that Spain (same kind of rates in France, Belgium etc...) doesn't have that many people sending money to Thai bank accounts, if you compare this to the big Thai community in the US/UK.

The lowest commission I paid here for a wire transfer to my Thai bank account -> 35 euros for an amount of 500 euros.

When I transfer from the UAE to my account with HSBC in Jersey I use a company called Al Rostamani Exchange (Thomas Cook). They charge Dhs 45 (~Euro 9) and the money is in my account in 2 days. I am however also charged ~Euro 8 by HSBC, for what I don't know. Total is 17 Euro.

The only fee I pay is the transfer fee, as I said, $32AUD (at the bank) and as I also said, I send in Australian dollars and I confirm to the bank on every occasion that it must be sent in my own currency.

I transfer to a Siam Commercial Bank, their fee to covert is no greater than approximately 320 baht (their exchange rate always seems to be good & if you access the link in a previous post, you know what it will be).

Archived