Walen School

blodger

I write this as a service, one without rancor or malice. I was recently banned from another Thai Board for expressing my honest opinion of the quality of the Walen School. Everything I said there, that I repeat here, was based on personal experience having been a student there.

In my opinion the school is not good value for money. There was no interest in the student or his progression, the famous Callan syllabus was either missing or in itself is of no value. The teacher I had was, by her own admission, filling in between jobs. I would not recommend this school to anyone. Having said that I would not recommend any school.

I'll be interested to see the response on this board, to see if an honest opinion is respected.

Regards

Blodger

In their sales blurb they refer to the "Callan" method of teaching. I saw no evidence of any method. Basically I joined a class of 10 people who were looking at a book written in Thai, the teacher went through the book pronouncing the words. Thats it, that was the teaching method!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea what was going on, neither did many of the other pupils, they told me so! Really just a shame since the pupils obviously wanted to learn, they showed up and they paid good money. Result nothing!!!!!

Blodger

I think the only reason anyone signs up is for the visa. The teacher is probably crap because they pay the minimum wage to keep the costs down. Seems fair to me. If you really want to learn Thai there are plenty of This who would teach you for free in return for you teaching them English or there are universities that offer proper courses for a few thousand baht.

Archived