Another crackdown on after hour places in Bkk?

Hardy641

Also 'Normal' places (Q-Bar, Bed Supper), which use to charge high covers (800+ THB) on weekends and tell parons that the stay open til 3:00am.

Of course it has not much influence on the 'quality' tourists who are solely in the country to visit temples, malls and beaches. They, however, are scared away from the yellow and red hooligans as well as the more and more frequent crime cases.

Thus Thailand is really doing everything to harm its reputation of a tourist paradise.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am with WorldFun; i do not see that closing a handful anyway illegaly operating late night bars a bit earlier than usual has a big impact on tourism industry. in many other tourist destinations, you can't have a beer after midnight or 0100 and people flock in nevertheless...

Gimme a break...this won't deter tourism.

I was in a disco in Hanoi and the cops flooded the place. Used tear gas and openly shocked people with cattle prods. They made everyone squat for an hour while they questioned people one by one.

It was terrifying and the most interesting night of my life. Can't wait to go back.

What are the yellow and red hooligans?

Oh jeez.

Again.

No one said it would have a BIG impact. It is yet another nail in the coffin, that's all.

A contributory factor.

An added disincentive.

I love the conclusions folks draw from the simplest of sentences.

Buddha, sounds delightful...wonder if we'll see that here....

Faustian, nothings really changed they want the farangs money but don't really want the farangs. If they had found a way of still getting the money without the inconvenience of having to have the farangs in the country I'm sure they would.Simie.

They have. Its called sponsering

All this will have absolutely no impact on tourism simply because most tourists neither get to know about early closing ( how " early "is 2: AM ?? ) neither do they know who Thaksin is neither will they remember a closed airport after 6 months . Thailand is still a perfect holiday spot with really low prices and that is what matters . Eary closing , increased barfines and happy hours are a big thing here on sort of an " insider " - board , for the real tourist world it is completely meaningless . What they remember is the Tsunami and how funny Tuk Tuks are .

Internal political or economic problems are of no interest for tourists as long as they do not affect tourists directly, like the closing of the airport. I presume that 99% of the tourists have never heard of Mr. T, except that Brit tourists know that he was wealthy owner of a soccer club.

Also there are different segments of tourists. If discos close early it will only affect the party tourists (they will move on the PP or so and Kao San road will have losses), but family and resort tourists might not even know that these places exist.

What matters to tourists are prices (hotel, restaurants), quality of beaches, being able to enjoy their time, security, and this kind of stuff.

For example when Italy became overly expensive while the quality of hotels and restaurants went down many, many tourist switched to other countries; and when there was a terrorist attack on a group of tourists in Luxor the next year tourism went down 50% in Egypt.

In regard to LOS, the Tsunami did not affect tourism since this was seen a once in a lifetime accident, not connected to the country itself. But the closing of the airport was a disaster on short term, which is know prolonged by the world wide recession.

But since a few years there is trickle of bad news from LOS like murderers of tourists, political unrest, destruction of nature, e.g., which might have a long term affect on LOS tourism, especially when combined with rising prices.

A really good tourist-meter would be Bali considering that even the dumbest of all potetial tourists might have heard about the bombings . How was Bali tourism some time after the events but before the moneymarket crisis ? There were several bombs in Turkish holiday resorts for various reasons , Costa Brava and elsewhere . it did not do any long term harm .

All this will have absolutely no impact on tourism simply because most tourists neither get to know about early closing ( how " early "is 2: AM ?? ) neither do they know who Thaksin is neither will they remember a closed airport after 6 months . Thailand is still a perfect holiday spot with really low prices and that is what matters . Eary closing , increased barfines and happy hours are a big thing here on sort of an " insider " - board , for the real tourist world it is completely meaningless . What they remember is the Tsunami and how funny Tuk Tuks are .

How many times can a bar fine go up in one year?

Archived