Midnight My Love???

drogon

Greetings

One more asian movie I might download but has anyone heard about this Thai movie?

http://www.dlaznmovies.com/2009/03/midnight-my-love.html

SYNOPSIS:

Sombat is a taxi driver who works the night shift in Bangkok. He enjoys listening to old songs and soap operas on the radio, often imagining that heâ??s the male protagonist. One day, a prostitute named Nual gets into his taxi and instantly falls in love with But. However, as they gradually grow closer to each other, they realize their love isnâ??t as romantic as the love portrayed in the radio dramas

REVIEW:

"...Through the first half of the film Midnight My Love plays as a simple, delicate love story between two lost souls on the fringes of society. The film is beautifully shot and edited, Jokmok shows a shocking ability to communicate volumes with only a glance, and there is this lurking sense of fantasy in the background, both in the beauty found in the regular world around them and in Sombatiâ??s daydreaming habit of inserting himself directly into his beloved radio soaps. The film has a beautifully light touch, all nervousness and desire and surprising, delicate grace notes before a surprising development at the mid point reminds us that this is the real world and in the real world people have histories and happiness is seldom allowed to flourish without trial. Surprisingly, the â??real worldâ?? proves more fantastical by far than Sombatiâ??s fantasies, although also far more ominous.

Though firmly anchored in the lives of its two leads Midnight My Love also manages to slip in a surprising amount of subtext. The disparity between rich and poor is a recurrent theme, with several criticisms of the exploitation of and discrimination against the poorer classes laced in throughout the entire running time. The overwhelmingly nostalgic tone of the picture stands as an indictment of the hollowness of consumer culture and the rush towards progress at all costs and the simple portrayal of Nualâ??s constant fatigue is a more powerful statement of the consequences of prostitution and sexual exploitation than any written or spoken screed could be..."

Source: Twitch

• 2 weeks later...

Archived