Chunky or Smooth?

The_Munchmaster

Smooth as a rule. Blackberry jam is great with peanut butter. Honey and peanut butter on toast is a classic as mentioned. A word of caution when buying peanut butter; read the label. Peanut butter should only contain peanuts or peanuts and salt. Peanut butter often contains sugar or icing sugar, vegetable oil, or other fillers. These are to be avoided. Go for the natural product. The salt content is typically about 1%, so not so much of a health issue. In Thailand there is not much choice for a natural product. Mission brand produces a decent P.B. Only one Mission P.B. has just peanuts and salt though, and is not carried by all stores. In N. America Adam's P.B. is a good product.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teddy's Peanut Butter, all natural, no added crap. Not expensive either. Made right in Everett Massachusetts. I love peanut butter but the brands here in the LOS are all the major brands which use loads of sugar and other crap to give it a sweet flavor. If you open the jar and there is no peanut oil on the top, it's crap! :susel:

You can buy raw shelled peanuts at the local Makro here, dry roast (or fry with a light peanut oil) them yourself in a wok, and then, while still hot, right into the blender they go! Add a bit of salt to flavor. Buy a good strong blender. Works well, easy to do really.

I prefer Blueberry jam, Smuckers, but try finding the low sugar/no sugar added one here in Thailand! My mother used to make her own grape jelly from a small (very small) vineyard we had in the backyard in southern jersey. We also had three black cherry trees she used for pies and cherry jam. Damn, I miss those days! We had a huge old black walnut tree too behind the house that gave us tons of walnuts every year. And the ripened walnut husks could be used to get walnut stain. You had to wear rubber gloves to handle the ripe walnuts or your hands would be stained brown for months!

Okay, older guy remembering his youthful days. Sorry. But they were good days in many ways, for a kid at least.

Cent

I've really tried many times to like all natural peanut butter. But it is always much "drier" than the processed crap. It sticks to the roof of your mouth forever. I've forever been tainted by Skippy and Jif and I can't go back.

Munchie, if you are interested in trying the natural stuff, I'm warning you... You better try the natural stuff now before your tastebuds are ruined forever by the sweet, smooth, gooey stuff!

I love peanut butter but the brands here in the LOS are all the major brands which use loads of sugar and other crap to give it a sweet flavor. If you open the jar and there is no peanut oil on the top, it's crap!

Cent

Cent,

You may want to try the Thai brand Mission which are Sugar and Cholesteral free.

Love the stuff, but it's about four times the cost here in LoS.

Always smooth, always with an extra dash of salt.

The oil on top just means that it is unsaturated fatty acid tails on the glycerol part of the molecule. Doesn't make it "crap", just puts a little kink in the tails. And who doesn't love kinky tail? Nobody eats PB for health and, like hamburgers, if you're going to eat it, might as well go all the way. (BTW, burgers = fatty, fried in their own grease, with bacon, mayo and thick chunk of cheddar, all on a thick bun, with a pile of greasy fries bigger than your head. Yeah!)

Smooth on a triple decker sandwich made with cheap white bread, Wonder-style, with a thick shmear of Nutella between the other 2 slices.

PB on Granny Smith apple is great, but it's hard to get the PB to stick to the apple slice.

PB on crackers.

When I reeaallly want to shock my heart: a peanut butter and butter sandwich.

.... A word of caution when buying peanut butter; read the label. Peanut butter should only contain peanuts or peanuts and salt. Peanut butter often contains sugar or icing sugar, vegetable oil, or other fillers. These are to be avoided. Go for the natural product. The salt content is typically about 1%, so not so much of a health issue....

Checked my tub of PB, which is American Garden from New York, and it contains peanuts, sugar, fully hydrogenated vegetable oils, salt and corn syrup and the sodium content is 6%. So not very natural!

Archived