Street food making me sick!

AloyMak

I often eat from a street food seller near my home....been going there for 3 years off and on. Never sick once. Money isn't the issue MM, time and convenience are for me. After I finish work I want to grab something, go home and chill.

Have had Salmonella poisoning twice from restaurants and got a dose of Giardiasis from a restaurant in Phuket...

Nice... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardiasis

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the tail end of my first trip to Thailand, I ate a "ham and cheese" sandwich at the Nana Hotel coffee shop that I am convinced made me violently ill.

Almost killed me. (no joke!)

It was the last day in the kingdom, and I remember thinking something was "off" about it. So of course I ate it anyway.. :(

The next day I had this unquenchable thirst, but I was not expelling liquids. The Korean Air flight I was on almost had to land in Canada due to my condition.

When we finally landed in Chicago, I drank a huge Gatorade drink and finally felt I had to 'go'.

Unfortunately, none of the liquid came out the front side. Like three gallons of liquid out of my ass. :(

When I was finally able to get to a my doctor, I had a fever of 104, developed a speech impediment, and was alternating between hot and cold flashes.

Had to take two shots of antibiotic to fix me up.

Sheer hell...

-=/NN

When I was a casual visitor I thought I was so "cultured" eating from street vendors and used to look down on those uncultured, unhealthy Neaderthals eating in McDonalds. Now, having witnessed the disgusting practices of many street vendors, I consider McDonalds to be the best value food in Thailand. Only 22 baht for a hamburger if you're really on a budget. As for it being unhealthy, there's nothing unhealthy about bread, beef, lettuce, onion and cucumber and it's one of the only places in Thailand guaranteed to be cooked in trans fat free oil.

I personally prefer to buy quality, fresh food and cook it myself.

I rarely eat street food. Have done it though.

Some are better/cleaner than others.

I got the shites from the food on 16 hour flight on Thai Airways. And the plane was landing after the 16 hours in air - I had to get up and visit the WC multiple times. The pilot had already told the crew to prepare for landing. And I am running up and down the ailes to the WC.

Thai Airways meals/food. Flight left LOS back to farangland. Thai prepared food.

Archived