TGs and priorities ..

gobbledonk

always wear my favorite walking ATM shirt with pride. As you can see, it is in Thai.

Damn it - I have a 'Walking ATM' shirt, but its in English - yours is *way* cooler :(

PS No, I cant read Thai, but I'll take your word for it. Even the 'no Angrit' ATMs that I encountered in Thailand had the sign as 'ATM' : it seems to be a universal language. ;)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GD, you forgot to include the important details. Is it a 16GB iPhone? Then 10k would indeed be a good price.

I wouldn't get too upset over this. People overspend the world over. Seems like Ms. Crazypants doesn't have her priorities straight just yet, which is sad but no amount of lecturing will change something so fundamental. But 10K for a cell phone in Thailand doesn't seem all that crazy to me for an accessory that really isn't an accessory.

I admit to my ears, Drogon, a westerner who is trying to save money by putting the love of his life in a pickup reminds me a bit of my dad who imposed a strict 4 squares of toilet paper rule in the household. That said, my father has saved a small fortune in his life.

Mekong, I'm glad you are here to strip us all of our delusions and put us in our place.

But 10K for a cell phone in Thailand doesn't seem all that crazy to me for an accessory that really isn't an accessory.

For you and me, perhaps 10K isnt an extravagant amount. But consider:

- she has no visible means of support, not even tips from the bar she previously worked in. She claims that she will go back to work next month, but seems in no real hurry to secure employment.

- large numbers of people, inside and outside Thailand, are faced with the real prospect of spending much of 2009 without a job.

To my knowledge, she had the 10K or so I gave her when I left 3 weeks ago, but thats it. I really hope that her White Knight sponsors (thank you, Kevin) have deep pockets and robust job security, because I've made it abundantly clear that this ATM is now out of order.

Mekong, I'm glad you are here to strip us all of our delusions and put us in our place.

HT

I am not trying to "Put Anyone in Their Place" per ce, merely voicing an opinion based on the facts presented. I am not asking anyone to agree with my opinion but since this an open forum and I was note flaming anyone else (much :content: )I feel that I am entitled to voice it.

Call me a cynical old fart but I have seen the results of Thais over extending their income and it appears (to me) that Drogon's GF is rushing into things without giving it much consideration. Why else would he be asking about Mortgage Interest Rates, where to buy used cars, loans for cars etc His GF is Thai working and living in BKK and she doesn't know ... red flag in my book.

I could go on but

1 I would probably bore you

or

2 You have stopped reading by now.

As I said my opinion, if you dislike it please feel free to utilise the board functions and place me on ignore!

Hi,

Have to agree with Mekong on this one. It is very easy here to over-extend yourself financially.

When we bought our car 3 years ago, we did so with installments as well. The monthly installments were more than my wife's salary at the time. After me co-signing it, it was approved without problems though.

The fact that they even considered such a deal was beyond me.

We also would not mind buying a house, but will not even consider doing so until we've paid of the car in full. I really dislike being in debt.

Sanuk!

But 10K for a cell phone in Thailand doesn't seem all that crazy to me for an accessory that really isn't an accessory.

For you and me, perhaps 10K isnt an extravagant amount. But consider:

- she has no visible means of support, not even tips from the bar she previously worked in. She claims that she will go back to work next month, but seems in no real hurry to secure employment.

- large numbers of people, inside and outside Thailand, are faced with the real prospect of spending much of 2009 without a job.

To my knowledge, she had the 10K or so I gave her when I left 3 weeks ago, but thats it. I really hope that her White Knight sponsors (thank you, Kevin) have deep pockets and robust job security, because I've made it abundantly clear that this ATM is now out of order.

Thanks for the comments.

If you want, I can send you a few of these shirts. What color do you like?

I tell you, wear one of these shirts at Soi Cowboy or NEP and you got to fight the girls off. They all love me.

Let me clarify a few things.

- missus needs a car because for her part part time job at AIG she needs one, so we started to look for some info. (she never had a car before).

Hence none of us know about second hand cars, dealers etc... in LOS.

She of course asked her friends/colleagues but they are either in the same situation as her = never had a car or they are wealthy enough not to worry about car prices (especially toyota and honda)

- About mortgage: This is more for my own info, about possible better rates we have not found etc...as for the missus this is still a distant project.

The culprit in the "rushing things" case is rather me....

Missus had to get a loan to go to university (while working to repay it) and she has a very bad memory about debts/loans -> thus it will be either the car or the condo...(she has enough savings and a high enough salary to repay one or the other)

On the board I am just trying to get some info for myself as she refuses that I use my money to help her pay the condo and/or the car.

Hope this helps to clarify things for the old cynical people on this board

:beer::neener:

Archived