Dinner Cruise - Loy Nava

AloyMak

Did the dinner cruise on the Loy Nava. Cost was 2830 baht for two people, including service and VAT.

The food was mixed. Some things were good, especially the appetizers and the curries. Deep-fried dishes have no place on a river cruise and they were all soggy from the humid air. The seafood was mixed as well. My thai companion really liked the snapper but I thought it was fishy. I got one really mushy prawn that I had to spit out onto a napkin but the other one was tasty. The Tom Yum was possibly the worst I've had in bangkok and was a flavorless, watery and unspicy mess. However, right after the Tom Yum was served, the chef came over and apologized in Thai to my companion and explained they tone things down for farang tastes. He asked how spicy to make the rest on a scale of 1-10. We asked for a 10 and the food was spicy enough. Overall, the food is about on par with an upscale hotel buffet which is to say, not great but not terrible either with buffet-like problems with temperature control. Also, there is no possible way that two people can finish the food as it is enough for 4.

The atmosphere though is top notch. The boat is a beautifully restored antique and you really do feel like you are in another era as you are surrounded by glossy teak and wooden roof. Lighting is cosy and romantic. Except when you pass one of those gaudy, neon-lit dinner monstrosities that cruise by frequently. They greet you with rose water and jasmine bouquet. All the tables except one were on the edge of the boat. Seats were assigned so you might ask ahead of time which seat you get. There was one table that was isolated from the rest, at the front of the boat next to the musicians. Quite a romantic little table I think. Music is very soft and the dancer was a really pleasant diversion.

They also have a decent bar list including some fairly priced australian wines and a really nice Sauternes for dessert.

If you go into this with your expectations set correctly, I think you'll have a great romantic evening. If you go into it expecting great thai food worth 2800 baht, you'll be disappointed. Whenever I passed one of the flourescent lit, enclosed double-decker cruise ships, I was happy I was on the Loy Nava instead.

Thanks for the review. I did it 20 years ago - and they knew I was writing about them, so maybe I got a bit better service. The evening itself was a delight. I remember the food as being about average for a 5 star hotel buffet, just as you say. Back when I did the dinner, there were hardly any of those gawdy "show boats" on the river. :(

As I said before, it's a nice way to impress a Thai gal and get her feeling romantic. :)

Thanks for the review.

Never tried this specific boat, will have to.

Me too.

Thanks for the review. There is so much in LOS to do and see.

Hey, he's having fun. I admise people who have fun. But I always think of that one farang sitting at one of the bars on Soi 8 Pattaya. He's there on same bar stool every night. Drinking away. But laughing and enjoying himself. God Bless him.

But I just think there is so much more to Thailand.

Thanks again for the 'cruise' ship dinner review. I will try it.

Archived