smoking and booze

jack_schist

Well I have managed once again to stop smoking cigarettes. This time 1.5 months. The recurring problem is that now (as when i have stopped in the past) is I drink very fast cause I want a smoke and get shitfaced. When i am smoking I drink much slower and 95% of the time am ok. Stop smoking = getting smashed cause I really want a smoke. If this means i have to give up drinking as well, i will just take up the smokes again. Has anyone else had this problem. Should i just start taking drugs instead.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found both eating and sex reduced the need for anything else during those 'I gotta smoke'moments. Lasted about a month. That was nearly 5 years ago, I think.

If your bar hopping you could get a Subway take out. Keep in your pocket and half way through the beer pull out your foot long.

I remember when I used to go ot on a Friday for a 14 - 15 hour drinking binge, I would smoke. I didn't smoke at the time, but when I would go on a drinking binge, I would smoke a lot. The more I smoked, the more I would drink. To me, smoking helped me to drink more.

Stupid thinking but it seemed to work for me.

When I went cold turkey from smoking one time (I have tried a few times), Zyban helped a lot. It'a a prescription anti-depressant drug used to stop smoking. Zyban worked. I started back up a few years later but only for a short while.

giving up the smokes was the easy part. Staying upright is the next challenge. The month of April in LOS will be interesting.
Nicotine chemistry takes somewhere between 24 and 96 hours to clear out of the body, with the vast majority clearing it in less than 72 hours.

After that, *all* of the cravings are strictly mental, and hypnosis can help you with that. I know that there are hypnotists in Bangkok, as I've seen at least one guy's advertising cards around NEP.

Well I have managed once again to stop smoking cigarettes. This time 1.5 months. The recurring problem is that now (as when i have stopped in the past) is I drink very fast cause I want a smoke and get shitfaced. When i am smoking I drink much slower and 95% of the time am ok. Stop smoking = getting smashed cause I really want a smoke. If this means i have to give up drinking as well, i will just take up the smokes again. Has anyone else had this problem. Should i just start taking drugs instead.

"Addictive Personality"

There is no easy answer. Those that have quit - God Bless them.

I don't drink anymore (here) - never had any problem as never drank much anyway. I only have a couple Heinekins when in LOS. Mostly drink cola in LOS though.

AA - the people I know who attend this all say this is a good program.

Cigarettes.

Well, I had one older relative die of lung cancer. It was absolutely aweful visiting this person in hosptal.

Years ago, I was sitting in the lobby of the Nana Hotel. Morning - reading the fee paper. And these two 'old' guys were talking. One a 20 year living in Pattaya person. He had come up from Pattaya to go to hospital in Bangkok for lung cancer. That too was an aweful conversation to hear. He was told he only had a couple months to live. And that medicine could do nothing more for him. He was seeking a 'miracle' cure in Bangkok hospital.

Some day I will quit cigerattes. Today? Tomorrow? Next week? After I'm dead?

What will others say wilst I am laid out in the casket?

"Well, he finally quit smoking cigarettes."

Some day I will quit cigerattes. Today? Tomorrow? Next week? After I'm dead?

Important people in my life died for lung cancer but still I can't do it. When I'm working I usually use nicotine gums or Swedish "snus" but when the weekend comes it's back to smoking. Especially when I have even one beer. And now when I'm in LOS and have too much time I've realized I smoke 1,5 packs a day again.

There are great results reported about hypnosis and that anti depressant someone mentioned about so they might be worth trying. They are not any miracle cures though, one friend tried that anti depressant but it was back to smoking after the medication finished.

Archived