Walking Pneumonia?

Steve

I had cold and flu symptoms just after Valentine's Day. Lasted about a week. Took theraflu and another over the counter cold/flu med to combat it.

The achiness, etc. and 95% of the symptoms stopped.

However, I still kept coughing a little and felt like I had a frog in my throat. Would still spit flem and my chest felt like it was still a wee bit congested even a couple weeks after.

I left my previous job so my health insurance went with that. I am bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to HIV so I got a free one (as well as tb) done at a free clinic. Negative on both counts.

Anyway, its well over a month since my cold and I still couch. Feel some joint pain, etc. I'm not even as horny as I really am. Don't think about sex 24/7 like any red blooded man.

A friend's son (about 7 y.o.) had walking pneumonia and suggested that the symptoms were similar to mine. Did some research online and it does seem close to what I'm feeling.

Anyone had it? I read its common in kids but can affect adults. I really do need to make sure I diagnose it properly. Right now I don't have the health insurance to get a barrage of tests, although I will shortly. Till then I am just hoping its nothing else.

Anyone had it?

I had walking pneumonia about 16 years ago...it sucks!! starting as a cold/throat infection, which then moved down to my upper chest, then finally center chest...really deep fucking cough, the kind where you feel your insides are gonna come out with the cough...after several days of that (and feeling exhausted and like shit in general), I got a sharp pain in what felt like my back (upper central back)...

I figured that I had coughed so hard I broke a rib, so I went to the doctor...she did an x-ray, and bingo! little white spot of infection, which was indeed walking pneumonia (that's what hurt...I did not break any ribs from coughing). the strong antibiotic she prescribed, plus about a week more of bedrest, took care of it...

I wanna jump but I'm afraid I'll fall

I wanna holler but the jones's too small

Young man really got a hold on it too

I got a rockin' pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu

Want some lovin', baby, that ain't all

I wanna kiss her but the girl's too tall

I wanna scream, I want you all to know

I would be runnin' but my feets are too slow

Baby callin' me now hurry home

I know she's leavin' 'cause I'm takin' too long

I got a rockin' pneumonia and Joe Perry too, oo!

Want some lovin', baby' that ain't all

I wanna kiss her but the girl's too tall

I got a rockin' pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu, yow

I wanna scream, I wanna scream

I got a rockin' pneumonia, what's the matter with you?

Your new health ins. may have a pre-existing condition clause and not cover your current illness.

Go to the doctor ASAP!

While busy with these later projects, Henson began to experience flu-like symptoms.[4]

On May 4, 1990, Henson made an appearance on The Arsenio Hall Show. At the time, he mentioned to his publicist that he was tired and had a sore throat, but felt that it would go away.[citation needed]

On May 12, 1990, Henson traveled to Ahoskie, North Carolina, with his daughter Cheryl to visit his father and stepmother. The next day, feeling tired and sick, he consulted a physician in North Carolina, who could find no evidence of pneumonia by physical examination and prescribed no treatment except aspirin.[27] Henson returned to New York on an earlier flight and canceled a Muppet recording session scheduled for May 14.[citation needed]

Henson's wife Jane, from whom he was separated, came to visit and sat with him talking throughout the evening. By 2 a.m. on May 15, 1990 he was having trouble breathing and began coughing up blood. He suggested to Jane that he might be dying, but did not want to bother going to the hospital. She later told People Magazine that it was likely due to his desire not to be a bother to people.[4]

At 4 a.m., he finally agreed to go to New York Hospital, at which point his body was rapidly shutting down. By the time he was admitted at 4:58 a.m., he could no longer breathe on his own and had abscesses in his lungs. He was placed on a mechanical ventilator to help him breathe, but his condition deteriorated rapidly into septic shock despite aggressive treatment with multiple antibiotics. Only twenty hours later, on Wednesday May 16, 1990, at 1:21 a.m., Henson died from organ failure at the age of 53 at New York Hospital.

The cause of death was first reported as streptococcus pneumonia, a bacterial infection.[5] Bacterial pneumonia is usually caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, an alpha-hemolytic species of Streptococcus. Henson, however, died of organ failure due to infection by Streptococcus pyogenes, a severe Group A streptococcal infection, that engulfed his body.[28] S. pyogenes is the bacterial species that causes scarlet fever, rheumatic fever and, in Henson's case, Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Archived