Raintree Pub

AloyMak

Had a random evening at a bar near Victory Monument. The name of the place is Raintree Pub. The place is all wood and decorated kinda kitschy with multiple buffalo-heads mounted on the walls. They have live music which I'm told is the Thai equivalent of country-western blues. The music sounds really westernized to my ears, not the Isaan nasal wailing, melancholic and sweet. I really liked the music. Definitely not the kind of place you go to get fired up for a night of clubbing.

The food is not bad and cheap. There is a special menu only in thai. Luckily I had a thai companion in tow that ordered some very tasty dishes. The drinks for the evening were sangsom and coke... but I wish I hadn't. Sangsom tastes like cheap rum and I could barely force myself to drink the last of our bottle. But it was only 90 baht for a small bottle... You get what you pay for.

Anyway, it was a really interesting change of pace as I rarely stray off Suk. You can get off at Victory Monument BTS station. Walk south until you hit Soi Rangnam. Walk past King Power. Walk another 150 meters or so past a Tesco and you will see a sign for Raintree Pub.

There were a ton of restaurants along the way. Many looked good and I saw only a handful of farangs. It seemed pretty accessible to farangs though. Also there is a cinema across from the BTS station so you could probably make an afternoon/evening of that area.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived