Do you judge people by their earnings ?

Those of us who earn less than AUD 100K will receive a 'tax bonus' of $200-900 today, and I had some tosser on another board intimate that this was 'punishing the successful by rewarding the mediocre'. I replied that I will revel in my mediocrity as I spend the bonus, and reminded said tosser that a 100K job in Sydney is equal to considerably less anywhere else in Oz (roughly speaking, 70-80k will get you the same professional in Brissie, cant say for tradespeople).

Led me to wonder - how many here judge others based on their salary ? If so, isnt this the kind of attitude we often decry as 'typical Thai' ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

No, judging people on the amount of money they earn is very shallow. Would a rice farmer working his ass off to support his family be any less of a person than an investment banker doing the same thing (working ass of to support family)?

I have at times in the past earned a third of what I earn now as well as 50% more than I earn now. Would I be a better person now than when I made less? Or worse than when I made more?

Sanuk!

i am not saying that i have more respect for a investment banker with a 7 digit yearly salary than for a rice farmer making less than 3000 THB a month.

on the other hand claiming that earnings do not matter at all for the overall opinion about a person would be a lie!

if i meet for example with pals from my university with same or similar degrees and preconditions for our professional life, then certainly earnings counts somehow!

I think alot of people judge themselves by how much they earn so I think it would be fair to say some people probably judge others by what they earn. Not saying it's right at all, just probably the way it is.

Anyone judged me by what I earn right now and I'd be in jail. :content:

yes i do, whether you like it or not!

Samak, you are entitled to that opinion - its not about whether *I* like it or not, given that I threw it out there for comment. This was partly sparked by a history of surfing in Oz that aired here recently : some of the folk interviewed have made fortunes from surfing (and lost them in several cases..), while others have made almost nothing in financial terms but are still doing what they love 30 years on. Regardless, my respect for each of these guys was based on their surfing ability, and their longevity compared to peers who had completely lost the plot in the 70s and 80s, not on how much money they had made.

End of the day, we all need payola, but I dont hold Bill Gates above the guys in the doco - YMMV.

My best friend has a PhD + another master...he is earning 1200 euros net/month, because he decided to work part time and spend most of his time reading books....his choice of life.

So, although salaries might sometimes indicate someone's professional qualifications -> it doesn't tell you if this person is a good, intelligent human being....or not.

If the big boss tells me to hire/interview a new staff member -> if someone applies and had a previous salary of 22k euros/year then it tells me a lot about the low professional qualifications of this person -> but it could be someone with a great personality....

« L'habit ne fait pas le moine » -> which could be roughly translated into "Clothes don't make the man"

:beer:

At some point, you start judging people not by salary but by net worth. Judging people by salary is itself a sign of mediocrity.

The initial disagreement arose over salary, hence my post, but I accept that if you are earning 200K in New York and putting 180K up your nose, then your 'net worth' probably isnt terribly high.

At some point, you start judging people not by salary but by net worth. Judging people by salary is itself a sign of mediocrity.

No, no, no. Not just net worth but by 'liquid' assets.

Net worth could be some 'trust' fund set up by Mommy and Daddy that only dribbles out a little at at time.

Liquid assets is the best judge of character.

Archived