Do you judge people by their earnings ?

All seems rather shallow to me, one should judge someone by their character/personality. Many people are well qualified and choose to work in a field that might not be particularly well paid but they consider it of value in other ways. Someone who is motivated solely by money to the exclusion of all else is usually not a very pleasant character.

Simie.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All seems rather shallow to me, one should judge someone by their character/personality. Many people are well qualified and choose to work in a field that might not be particularly well paid but they consider it of value in other ways. Someone who is motivated solely by money to the exclusion of all else is usually not a very pleasant character.

Simie.

Simie, while I agree with you, I also accept the stance that 'its reality, whether you like it or not'. Its interesting how quickly the high public esteem of someone like Bernie Madoff (or the Enron clowns) disappears as soon as people realise its all smoke and mirrors. There are probably still people in Indonesia who adore the Suharto family, but how many outside the country hold them in any esteem, despite their high net worth ?

If I see someone driving an Aston Martin, my admiration is for the car, not the driver. YMMV.

HM famously remarked in his annual address about five years ago that people should not automatically respect people because they were rich. You should consider how they came by their money. If it was made dishonestly or corruptly, they deserved no respect. As he spoke, he looked directly at Mr T, Banharn, Chalerm and other top politicians. They all squirmed uncomfortably, then went right back to their old ways.

Archived