Advice for going solo on Sukhumvit?

Frank_Black

I guess things have changed a bit since last time I was in town. Just how frequent are the latest incidents around Sukhumvit and Cowboy? As someone who usually travels solo, any tips to avoid trouble would be appreciated.

Got a chuckle out of the guy who holds the katoeys at bay with pointy satay sticks. :thumbup:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble spot I know is right after Soi 19, underneath the Skytrain station.

There are a few katoey kamoeys (thiefs) hanging out there along with some female accomplices. Their usual way is to distract you (flash a breast, grab your crotch) while they go for the wallet or phone.

What I usually do when I need to pass through there is to walk very briskly, give them a stern glance (not a long look) and maintain a defensive posture (hand on the wallet pocket in front, another hand in front of my chest) to let them know I'm braced for whatever they could try to do. Worked so far.

I had to push one away once (note: just push them out of the way if needed, not punch or shove too hard -- you don't want to give them an excuse to start a fight).

I think they're after unsuspecting victims, and not into robbing someone who shows he's ready for it. Could be a problem if you don't see them coming.

Been a problem there on and off for years...it's been awhile since I've walked along there, but rather than go through the narrow bit, where they await their victims, I used to walk along the road. The oncoming traffic isn't a problem. They tried to get me once, 2 LB's get all close and over friendly, one trying to get your attention whilst the other goes through your pockets. Luckily for me they didn't get anything.

Walk around them along the road, worked for me.

My advice is don't walk there period after 1am. It is a favorite spot for not only katoey pickpockets but other lowlifes as well. There really is no excuse for knowingly taking a chance. Tonight could be the night you run into knife-wielding muggers instead of just a couple of ladyboys. Use taxis.

Archived