3 nights in PP

jonjon058

I spent a few days in PP last month. I stayed at River Star which is in a good location for bar hopping at night. I visited a few places: DV8, 69 Bar, Cloud 9, some other I have forgotten. In general all were packed with girls. A 20 to 1 ratio was not unusual. And in a few places my friend and I had all the girls to ourselves. The girls haven't mastered the art of extracting money from customers like their Thai cousins. Most seemed to forget that was the point of them being there. They were happy enough playing games and dancing on the bar. It was surprising how rough they would sometimes be with each other when play around. Taking pictures in the bar was not a problem. In fact most of the girls enjoyed posing for photos with us. Unlike Thailand, there was little or no nudity with the exception of one girl getting her top pulled down by another girl as a joke. Another difference from Thailand was that some of the girls didn't go with customers. Trust me I tried. It isn't hard to find ones that will, the problem is that the ones that won't don't make it clear up front. So I learned to ask that question sooner rather than later when I found a girl I liked. Still even the girls who won't go with customers are quite entertaining and for those eternal optimists they can be a fun challenge.

One particular incident epitomized the bar scene in PP. While drinking at one place the electricity suddenly went out. The music stopped and it became pitch black inside the bar. The girls began lighting candles and then they all started singing some Cambodian song. Soon they were back on top of the bar dancing, their singing getting louder and louder. One girl came out of the back banging on a bucket in time with the singing. The atmosphere was really festive and I was a bit disappointed when the power finally came back on.

69 Bar was probably my favorite for fun, good looking girls. Although I liked stopping in at Cloud 9 to talk with the Aussie owner, Ian. A nice guy who happily answered all our questions about what it was like to live there.

I have to say that there really isn't a lot to do in PP during the day. I didn't care to visit the genocide museum despite how eager the tuktuk drivers seemed to be to show it to us. I also took a pass on the shooting range. I've fired automatic weapons and thrown grenades in the past and thought that same money could be better spent at night. The river boat ride down the Tonle Sap into the Mekong at sunset was nice. Although I have no idea how they make any money at that when they take those big boats out with just two paying passengers.

For the most part we stayed along the riverside except for a trip just outside of town to an orphanage that some friends back home adopted from. Hopefully the bags of rice I bought didn't get sold out the back door after I left. The cynic in me thought that they might so I also brought fruit and cookies to hand out while we were there.

PP could be a real tourist destination at some point in the future, but I doubt that will be any time real soon. The Cambodian people we met though did have a certain charm that made the place worth visiting.

Nice report. Last time I was there I spent the time in almost the same places including the hotel. I found the "I don't go with customers" girls really annoying and switched to bars with less of these girls.

I agree for a capital there isn't that much to do during the day. But there are some places to go:

- the National Museum with the great art works of Khmer sculpture is IMHO a must see

- The palace

- the department store, just for watching the Khmer people strolling around and for some shopping for scarves e.g.

- There is one nice book store for Westerners and some second hand books stores

- There are some new art galleries (which I haven't seen yet)

- of course the torture museum, which is an ugly, but major part of recent Khmer history.

PS: the owners of River Star hotel must be really happy about the development the area around him. When I stayed there the first time the hotel was kind of isolated beyond the day- and night life areas for tourists. Now it's in the center of the night life...

• 4 weeks later...
Give me Svay Pak anyday.

Does this shithole still exist?

I remember the stories about K11/Svay Pak before the raids on a now defunct Cambo punters forum: shags in dirty wooden shacks with girls for 5 USD, underage girls and even virgins on sale, slavery, torture, HIV. It was the worst *known* place in SE Asia in regard to prostitution.

Give me Svay Pak anyday.

I have been to Svay Pak just a few times in the last 10 years and it became a less and less attractive place to visit each time. The last time there they would chain the front door shut after you entered. You could still exit the back door in an emergency. Some of the places had VERY young girls in them and it looked very bad. Friends that lived in PP very seriously told me to stay away from K11 as I might find myself on a video as being a pedophile. NGOs were doing taping there and have to justify their existance.

I was there on a quest, having seen a gorgeous girl on MSN. Her residence was given as House 12 so I went there and asked the mamasan where Jiang

was and the girl at my elbow said "I am Jiang." She was very young. I did not want to reject her so had her delivered to my Hotel in PP at 8 that night. There was no sex, we just talked (she had excellent English). She was 15 (she would have been a cheerleader in the US), Vietnamese and her father had sold her to the pimp in house 12 for either 1500 or 750 USD and she was working that off. I thought of buying her out but what would keep her father from doing the same thing again? She decided that I did not want sex with her because she had sniffles. She was picked up at 8 the next morning. I felt very sad about her situation.

It is OK with me that the place is gone.

PP has at least two nice golf courses...And a good day trip or an overnight is a journey to Sinookville(sp?)...

Get to see some of the country-side among all those garment factories on the way...

PP has really changed in a positive way from 5 to 10 years ago. Just the improvement of one's personal safety tops my list..

The nightlife is fun and caual though the feeling of all those fishbowls can be a downer as I suspect many of those young girls are not there by choice...

Arrow up on PP...

CB

As far as I'm concerned, guys who frequent the brothel-type places in Cambodia (where the girls are chained up, etc.) deserve to have their liver removed very slowly, cut out piece by piece, while they're kept awake and alive as long as possible. But that's just me.

Give me Svay Pak anyday.

Does this shithole still exist?

I remember the stories about K11/Svay Pak before the raids on a now defunct Cambo punters forum: shags in dirty wooden shacks with girls for 5 USD' date=' underage girls and even virgins on sale, slavery, torture, HIV. It was the worst *known* place in SE Asia in regard to prostitution.[/quote']

Yes, but mainly for Khmers. And I'll take the (legal age)Viet girls from there back in the good ole days of P4P in PP over the Khmer hostess bar scene of today. Rich Chinese and Khmer men are the main indulgers of underage virgins, and that scene will always be there for them. The NGOs don't try to bother stopping their scene because they would be killed. You want to see a shithole, go to Toul Kork.

Archived