What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

- Ironman 2: I don't understand the mass appeal of these films, though Robert Downey plays the character well -- I hate the dialog and predictable nature of... everything. And I'm not one of the guys that hates blockbusters. LOVED Die Hard. Still do. But Iron Man's big appeal puzzles me.

Maybe it's your age. Mate of mine's 9 & 10 year olds thought it was great. :cool:

-redwood

The very good Romanian movie "4 luni, 3 saptamani si 2 zile" (a movie about the illegal absortions during Ceaucescu era) that was Palme d'or at Cannes two years ago.

English title is "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days". I saw it several months ago and thought it excellent.

Just watched "Un prophète" -- English "A Prophet" -- French with English subtitles.

Newcomer Tahar Rahim plays Malik El Djebena, a 19 year-old Arab guy about to start a six-year stretch in prison for what appears to be violence against police ­officers. Malik is very frightened, cringing almost visibly into his clothes.

His apparent vulnerability catches the eye of César, the Corsican mobster with the guards in his pocket – incomparably played by Niels Arestrup. César needs someone to whack a fellow prisoner. who is about to incriminate his ­associates on the outside by turning state's ­witness. Guess who he chooses to be the whacker?

Excellent -- goes well beyond the usual prison picture cliche.

-redwood

Kick Ass- a great parody of the comix genre. Very funny. Nick Cage is perfect.

Ashamed that I forgot 'Kick Ass' earlier -- also saw it in LOS, and was surprised at how good it was. Don't know what genre to put it in -- dark, quirky, violent, well written action-comedy would be the best way to describe. Walt Disney it wasn't, gratefully.

Saw 'Harry Brown' last night in Pasadena. British vigilante film starring Michael Caine. The film sold-out and there were a bunch of rowdy old couples (60s, 70s) comprising the audience. Well, you can't go wrong with Michael Caine and he DID deliver. Potent action film that kept my attention. Oh yeah. The bad guys were just a wee bit over-the-top at times -- but hey, this wasn't a Sunday School brunch. The movie rocked live a proverbial hurricane. :)

OVOSfHFNlcI

Couple of movies I saw recently:

Shutter Island: Interesting movie and thought provoking. Not what you'd expect from Scorsese or Hollywood. Recommended.

From Paris with Love: Wildly over the top actioner. A guilty pleasure. Was fun, but check your brain at the door. Still, recommended.

Zombie Nation: Wildly over the top horror/actioner. A guilty pleasure. Was good clean gory fun. Liked it even better than From Paris With Love. Recommended.

Up In The Air: Better than average Hollywood movie with George Clooney as a consultant who's job it is to fire people. Busy man clocks a lot of airmiles and avoid relationships in his personal life. Could have been better, but I thought it was a pretty good effort to make a decent movie that doesn't revolve around saving the world in 90 minutes. Recommended.

Edge of Darkness: Better than average paranoia thriller with Mel Gibson. Recommended.