What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

Alright, finally saw true grit, didn't disappoint. Kind of a cross between Fargo and No Country for Old Men. Didn't take itself as deathly serious, but it had its grim moments.

And Jeff Bridges plays a cold-blooded killer with a conscious. Or something like that. Typical of the Coen brothers -- it took these kind of strange characters you generally wouldn't like at first glance and had them doing heroic things. (And vice versa).

Anyway, excellent film.

Yeah, I think Coen Brothers' films are off-key and they appeal or they don't. Critics raved about 'Barton Fink' and I fell asleep, thought it was over-rated.

This one didn't build momentum for me until the point where the Jeff Bridges character and the young girl were staking out the two bandits in the shack about 2/3 into the film. From there I was hooked in.

But even in the way they laid the foundation -- what with the girl bartering down the old salesman and her recruitment of the Bridges character to her cause -- I thought it was well done and made me laugh. I can see where some would see tedious moments there though.

Coen Brothers always followed one standard Hollywood formula (the good guy wins) up until 'No Country for Old Men.' I actually took a date to that movie and she hated it.

I went back to see it again a week later. Trying to see what they were doing with that story. It was a bold film and it was powerful.

I'll wait for a better copy as I found the DVD SCR rather grainy of True Grit so probably lost out on some of its reported greatness. Found it rather tedious by today's standards but like you said it's got some high reviews.

Jeff Bridges did a great job acting.

this movie was a classic that John Wayne did years ago, Bridges taking it on and making it hos own (not trying to copy John Wayne so much), for me, gives it high marks, but not super high.

** 1/2

Last night I viewed "The King's Speech", a true story. DVD screeners are now available.

It's a wonderful and uplifting movie which may well win Oscars for acting and direction.

OTOH, I thought "127 Hours" was just okay; it dragged along and failed to really develop the tension and fear that the subject must have really experienced.